Curious about new Stihl pricing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon1270

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
www.workbyhand.com
I'm not in the market for a new saw, but I am confused by something I've seen repeatedly in some CL ads for late-model Stihl saws. Sellers sometimes try to support their asking prices by disclosing what they supposedly paid for the saw. Often the prices they claim to have paid are much higher than the list prices shown on Stihl's website.

For example, there's currently an ad up for a slightly used MS211C. The seller claims to have paid $619 for it, but Stihl currently shows a list price of $359. Is there a non-BS explanation for this? Do some dealers mark up the saws far above list? Are the list prices exclusive of bar, chain, case, etc.? Could such extras really add that much to the price tag?

A lot of people are liars. There are taxes and extras added in though and I wouldn't be surprised if some dealers stroke fools that walk in for a nice profit.

I always skip craigslist ads that say what they "paid" or what "retail" is. These people are usually impossible to deal with.

For example, there's currently an ad up for a slightly used MS211C. The seller claims to have paid $619 for it, but Stihl currently shows a list price of $359. Is there a non-BS explanation for this? Do some dealers mark up the saws far above list? Are the list prices exclusive of bar, chain, case, etc.? Could such extras really add that much to the price tag?
Scammers, they think fresh fish to the wood world will bite.....any of us who has been cutting and burning for any lenght of time has a good idea of the price of things, especially the price of a new saw_g.

With CL ya got know pricing for what you are looking for, a lot of the asking prices are over retail for new or similar replacement. There is a person here pushing an old IH tractor at the $4500 range ( likely worth about $1500 and that is pushing it) as he states it is a collectors item, No collector will pay anywhere near that for a rig that has been sitting outside in the field for 20 years. or the Dolkita 6401 for $450, ( likely gotten from HD for 200) as there are no dealers here for the dolkita saws.

Yeah, I'm very familiar with the way prices are generally inflated on CL. Things that are well-priced sell quickly and disappear, leaving a vast reservoir of overpriced stuff that's not selling. I was just wondering whether the Stihl list pricing was somehow dramatically lower than dealers' actual prices. Am I right to guess that the list prices are for the powerhead only -- no bar, chain, case, etc.?

Yeah, I'm very familiar with the way prices are generally inflated on CL. Things that are well-priced sell quickly and disappear, leaving a vast reservoir of overpriced stuff that's not selling. I was just wondering whether the Stihl list pricing was somehow dramatically lower than dealers' actual prices. Am I right to guess that the list prices are for the powerhead only -- no bar, chain, case, etc.?
Stihl has a thing about only selling complete, running and tested equipment. So if a dealer was following the rules it would be impossible to sell a saw power head only.

Generally there is a price for each bar size. Ex. The MS290 starts at $379 with the 16" bar and each step up is $10. 18" = $389 and $399 for the 20". Also those prices are suggested by the distributor, not Stihl inc. Technically they can vary by region but they generally do not. The individual dealers however are free to sell at whatever pricing they choose. Most stick to list or even discounted slightly for some of the higher margin items, like pro-grade saws.

Reactions: Jon1270
Thanks MM, that sheds a lot of light on it.

What's the margin on a pro-grade saw? Dealers like everyone need profit to cover overhead.

I agree with the above. I have personally been hustled more than I'd like to admit. Some people are unscrupulous out there. They aren't the god fearing hard working types. They make their money off of grift and false promises. At 36, I have learned the hard way my street smarts. I would be very careful with buying used equipment. Some on here like Master Mechanic and others are great at rebuilding and small engine / tool repair. For people like me, if I'm unsure, I'll buy new at the dealer and know I paid a premium, but got exactly what I paid for.

I would be very careful with buying used equipment. Some on here like Master Mechanic and others are great at rebuilding and small engine / tool repair.

I'm somewhere in the middle on that. I'm pretty well mechanically inclined and have worked on my own vehicles for a long time, so I picked up several older Stihls that needed attention. In cash terms I've come out well ahead, but it is time consuming to bring a neglected saw back into functionality. One thing I didn't expect was how much time it can take to just clean the dang things when every nook and cranny is packed with oily sawdust sludge. I've had to almost completely disassemble a couple of saws just to get them moderately clean. By comparison, whatever repairs are needed are often pretty minimal and easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.