Curious about price of Rocky Mountain Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zackdog

Dec 26, 2008
Tabernash, CO
After checking with a local supplier, I am curious as to the price of Rocky Mountain Pellets in the east. I got a price of $250 per ton delivered or $7.00 per bag. This supplier is located less than 60 miles from the pellet factory. I think they are gouging, but am curious as to your prices after being shipped around 1500 miles.

Thanks for any replies.

paid 4.39 a bag or 209 a ton bought 10 bags, liked them and going back for more

Try $349.00 per ton without shipping another $30. Local stove shops selling by the bag for $8.00. They are usually sold in 1.3 tons. I'm in Long Island, NY. Prices are out of control here on Long Island. Burning more oil now, it just doesn't pay to burn pellets around the clock. They are great pellets though!

I had never seen them until today. Supplies of any brand are scarce here now. Tractor supply is limiting sales to 20 bags per customer at $5.49 per bag. Will go back for more if they are any good.

here in my area home depot is loaded with them 5.88 per bag. used about 10 bags and i like them. only brand that i havent gotten clunkers with,and no fines in bags.

Zackdog said:
After checking with a local supplier, I am curious as to the price of Rocky Mountain Pellets in the east. I got a price of $250 per ton delivered or $7.00 per bag. This supplier is located less than 60 miles from the pellet factory. I think they are gouging, but am curious as to your prices after being shipped around 1500 miles.

Thanks for any replies.

Is it gouging, or is it free market economics?

Let's compare a Colorado and Wisconsin firm where everything is equal; overhead and raw materials.

The Wisconsin company pays extreme shipping costs to play in the Colorado market, leaving room for the Colorado manufacturer to raise prices to what the market will bear. Advantage Colorado player.

When the two go head-to-head in Wisconsin the advantage shifts to the Wisconsin firm, but to a lesser degree, because shipping from Colorado to Wisconsin is much cheaper. Slight advantage Wisconsin player.

When they go head to head on the east coast the advantage is with the Wisconsin player, to a greater degree, because his shipping cost is far less than the Colorado player.

In the end, in three markets, these two competitors have an equal average return.

This is why we see such outrageous prices on the east coast, where consumers outnumber producers. Transportation to that part of the country is extremely expensive because so little goods, manufactured or imported, originate there. Truckers get high prices going in and take it in the shorts getting out.

5.99 at Tractor Supply here.

When they were in stock a few weeks ago, they were $5.97 a bag or $299 a ton at the HD in Wappingers Falls. Now they have Stove Chow. Burned em both and would buy them again.

Schoondog

6 bucks a bag here or 300 per ton,at TSC. i wasnt impressed with them found myself running at a higher setting to hold the same temps, before you ask i also had some somerset pellets (from lowes same price)at the same time and found that the somerset pellets were head and shoulders above the rockies in heat output. only thing (and a minor thing at that) which i liked was the handle molded into the bag, pretty neat little perk, but the pellets were anemic in heat production, they tout themselves as "best money can buy" with an 8200 btu rating, they burned ok , but i prefer heat.

BTW 250 per ton is 5 bucks a bag , not 7 which would be 350 a ton. (probably a typo)

"BTW 250 per ton is 5 bucks a bag , not 7 which would be 350 a ton. (probably a typo)"

It was not a typo. I was just looking to see how much they were per bag in case I need a few bags to get me through the winter. They evidently don't want to sell by the bag.

I still don't understand how a bag of pellets that, lets just guess, costs $2.00 to produce can be shipped to a high demand area 1500+ miles away and sold for $6.00 per bag; while the same bag of pellets shipped 60 miles to a low demand area costs $7.00 a bag. The county I live in is about 25% larger than the state of Rhode Island and has a population of around 13000.

I think they are gouging and if I need more pellets to get through the winter, I'll drive the 75 miles to Denver to get them.

Maybe they add money to the price per bag when they have to break a pallet down. I guess it could be considered more work etc. I've never heard of anyone doing that but surely there's some logic behind it? Also think of quantity pricing, the dealers price per ton varies on quantity purchased. If a small store buys 200 tons compared to a larger outfit buying 2000 tons that could explain some price difference. Or maybe like you say they're flat out gouging. I tend to be a little sensitive on the gouging issue, I used to get accused of gouging on Simpson Duravent. I sold it at suggested list price, but the Sutherlands Hardware sold it for about what I paid for it wholesale. I was just trying to eat by supplying a good product at what should have been fair market value and got called a thief for doing it.

I burned about a ton of these pellets this winter and absolutely loved them. NO dust....NO clinkers...NO fines...very good heat...and loved the see thru bag to see what you were getting. I would buy these for my whole season without a doubt. I paid 5.99 a bag.

I heard that Park County will be getting a Pellet Plant this year, I have yet to find out how much they will be costing, I am looking at a bulk supply.

I had about 12 bags. I really like them alot. They didn't have any left when I returned to buy some more(I'm increasingly feeling like Pork). Home Depot in South Portland said they are going to get another shipment of pellets this week. They won't know if they are the Rocky Mountains or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.