Curious what kind of tree this is

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
I've found about 3 of these in the woods recently and don't know what they are.
1008121514.jpg1008121514a.jpg

Looks ta be a beech tree to me have several on our property.

Reactions: fireview2788
Perfect! They'll be ready for me to cut down about 30 years after I die.

Only a true" wood-o-holic" would think about making them fire wood that far ahead.
Have faith. you may make it.
Wheelchair chainsawing. We'll need pics of course :)

The second picture looks like chestnut to me. Is it a stump re-growth? Something killed the chestunts long ago. I have a dozen in the backwoods.

Reactions: ScotO
I've found about 3 of these in the woods recently and don't know what they are.
View attachment 76527View attachment 76528
Chestnut. Not sure if American or Chinese, but that's what I think it is...

*edit* After closely looking at the bark it's definately a chestnut, I'm leaning towards American chestnut and they are all but wiped out. Chances are that tree wont get much bigger before it gets the blight.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Correct me if iam wrong fellow's , is'nt the chesnut tree part of the beech family ?

Google "American chestnut" and click on the "images" tab.

You would be correct, John Boy! They are almost extinct, except for a few small stands that somehow survived the blight all these years. But thanks to the American Chestnut Foundation and their back-cross breeding program, they are working on a blight resistant tree as we speak.

We have about ten of these growing on our property, some are 6-8 inches in diameter . Being chesnuts are far and few between if any at all . Iam sticking with this as a beech tree.;) Ive googled both tree's there leaves are very close the same.

Would a tree that small produce any fruit? I can go back out there and look for signs.
It'll give me something to do between the deforestation project and the chain fixing project.>>

Would a tree that small produce any fruit? I can go back out there and look for signs.
It'll give me something to do between the deforestation project and the chain fixing project.>>
It could possibly be fruiting, although it looks young. The bark is what gives it away. Young chestnuts have bark that resembles young black cherry trees, that tree of yours has those horizontal slashes. Anyway, the nut pods are green and spiny, turning brown as they dry out. Of.there's any squirrels around, you'll have a hard time finding any nuts.

It could possibly be fruiting, although it looks young. The bark is what gives it away. Young chestnuts have bark that resembles young black cherry trees, that tree of yours has those horizontal slashes. Anyway, the nut pods are green and spiny, turning brown as they dry out. Of.there's any squirrels around, you'll have a hard time finding any nuts.
Chesnut's are very distinct, the fruit that is.

3076330519_a823c6ecf3.jpg

I'm going with Chestnut as well, I've got hundreds around my camp in RI. They don't get very big before blight attacks.
The Pic on the left would be a monster in my area.

Nurse that thing!

Yes - looks like a chestnut - leaves look too strongly toothed to be beech. I think they are in their own Family - Castanaceae I think, rather than Fagaceae (oaks and beech). Cheers!

That looks like American Chestnut to me. The adult trees are practically extinct, but small trees are fairly common in some places. Once in a while one will get large enough to produce nuts so there are a few seedlings, plus they resprout from the stum p when the blight kills them. A sad reminder that you live in what used to be an oak/chestnut forest.

Reactions: Bacffin and ScotO
I'll have to agree on the chestnut. The leaf is more like that than beech.
The top of the Maple I took down missed it by about 4'.!!! It'll be interesting to see what happens to these.

We have about ten of these growing on our property, some are 6-8 inches in diameter . Being chesnuts are far and few between if any at all . Iam sticking with this as a beech tree.;) Ive googled both tree's there leaves are very close the same.

Actually there are many chestnuts in northern MI.

I read that the American chestnut was once one in four trees in eastern north America. A terrible loss for us and the wildlife as it was the most important hard mast for deer, bears and turkey.

Looks like the doomed suckers in my yard. Had one pushing 10' but it's going zombie on me.

I'll get the wife ta take pic's i have several on our property , one is 18 ft maybe 7 inches in diameter. Maybe mine are just beech tree's .
but i tell ya they look very close to that one. Very long and skinny branches. Smooth bark

Yesterday was a bust for cutting wood, so I took a walk in the woods and found more of these. Didn't do a count, but there are more than I thought.
Also found a bunch more oak than I thought I had too. Not big trees, but if I need at some point.......

Here is a picture of one I have in the back. I think it is American Chestnut.

Attachments

• DSCN2865rchestnut.jpg
    DSCN2865rchestnut.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 101
Status
Not open for further replies.