curiousity on a frowned upon stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjcole50

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2013
Ohio
I recently posted about adding a second stove to my basement(already piped). I have now contemplated buying a us stove logwood large version. I would use this temporarily in my basement with intentions to eventually move it to one of my garages. Does anyone think this would be ok? I have a giant brick hearth in the basement so plenty of clearance I do not think would be an issue. I will post a pic of where it would temporarily sit. I figured its cheap enough to tide me over for a couple of years while I shop around for a higher quality addition to my basement. I would think the logwood would also be a great companion in the garage rather than swapping barrels out over time? any flaws in my thought process? From the short time i spent searching, it seems the boxwood or logwood version seems very frowned at! Thanks again. Really enjoying the forum so far, probably the most helpful I have been a member to!

Does the local jurisdiction permit stoves in a garage? Most don't.

I called insurance today as far as policy goes and since it is detached he was thinking it was ok but was going to find out more? But I live in the boonies, I do not think any law dogs would mind? If thats what you meant. Seems every hill bill out here has one in the garage/barn/shed

I can only answer for myself. Would I do this in my home? No. My family's safety is worth more than trying to use the cheapest solution possible. For me, safety is the first order of wood burning business in one's home.

I was thinking I would receive that response. I completely understand the short comings of the design. Sounded like a good idea for a minute! I think I will stick with the pleasant hearth stove, I am supposed to pick up tomorrow evening. For 300$ it is probably a much safer option and efficient. Hell it might work out well enough I keep it in the basement for years to come as opposed to upgrading. Big tempting situation came up today at work, friend of mines wife is now a regency insert/stove dealer. I could not spend any money and wait to upgrade with a 40% discount and no tax charge!

Agreed, that sounds like a much better plan. The Pleasant Hearth stove should be much more controllable and predictable. That said a Regency at 40% off could be hard to pass by. Maybe inquire to see if they have a slightly used floor model they want to sell?

Agreed, that sounds like a much better plan. The Pleasant Hearth stove should be much more controllable and predictable. That said a Regency at 40% off could be hard to pass by. Maybe inquire to see if they have a slightly used floor model they want to sell?
I tried, she just started working there. I asked if they had any used models too. I thought it was shocking that she was offered 40% off, at that percentage wouldnt you be worried about employees making side money?! I wish I had the extra coin right now but we bought this place a year ago and from what I can tell my first couple years of home ownership are going to be alittle more expensive! wish the same model country comfort was also in the basement. Our upstairs stove puts out great.

Status
Not open for further replies.