Curly Maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinngetreu

Feeling the Heat
Nov 10, 2013
North Iowa
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I scored a few rounds of this wood and it looks like Maple, but I would like someone who has a clue to let me know what you think. Also, the last pic is of some wood that I scored at the local wood dump. I think it might be red elm? Not really sure. It had a red ring separating the heart wood with the sap wood. I tried looking around to find some answers without posting, but I'm not having much luck matching things up. Thanks!

wood type 001.jpg wood type 002.jpg wood type 003.jpg wood type 005.jpg

Silver maple and box elder ?

Silver maple and box elder ?

Yep, I think your spot on about the box elder. Now that you mention that, it did have little red box elder bugs near by at the dump. That makes sense.

The next question would be, does anyone burn box elder?

Yep, I think your spot on about the box elder. Now that you mention that, it did have little red box elder bugs near by at the dump. That makes sense.

Box elder is okay to burn. nothing great, but not bad.

Looks like that maple was not so easy to split either! On the box elder, we've burned a fair amount of it. Keep in mind that it is in the maple family and will burn similar to soft or silver maple. Not too good at holding fires a long time but good wood for daytime use or in spring or fall burning.

Looks like that maple was not so easy to split either! On the box elder, we've burned a fair amount of it. Keep in mind that it is in the maple family and will burn similar to soft or silver maple. Not too good at holding fires a long time but good wood for daytime use or in spring or fall burning.

Actually, compared to the three twisted Ash trees I'm splitting, the Maple is a piece of cake. I split the Maple for fun when I get into some gnarly Ash that leaves me feeling defeated.

Thanks for the info on holding fires, that's good to keep in mind.

I will say that the big rounds of Maple that I have will probably offer more of a challenge.

wood type 004.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Well, ash that is grown out in the open can be very twisted and then a challenge for sure. That is where the hydraulics really shine!

Reactions: woodsmaster
Well, ash that is grown out in the open can be very twisted and then a challenge for sure. That is where the hydraulics really shine!

That would be nice. I'm splitting by hand and getting a work out doing it. I have a separate pile for the "impossibles" to be split when I can get a splitter or to be cut again with a saw then split down from there. Its not ideal, but it is a way to get around it and make it burnable. Luckily there aren't too many of those yet. LOL

Well, most of us did a lot of hand splitting before getting the hydraulics. Mine was forced on me after an injury but it really made me wonder why I had not got it sooner! Let me see now, I started splitting wood probably around age 8. Got the hydraulics sometime in the 80's. What a joy!

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
Well, most of us did a lot of hand splitting before getting the hydraulics. Mine was forced on me after an injury but it really made me wonder why I had not got it sooner! Let me see now, I started splitting wood probably around age 8. Got the hydraulics sometime in the 80's. What a joy!

Eventually I would like one, but right now its just not feasible. On the bright side, my wife doesn't seem to mind watching me split the wood. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.