Current best moisture sensors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwh63

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2019
MA
don't have one, never used one, may want one. best expensive one, best budget one (for infrequent use).

This was just discussed recently. Somewhere...

don't have one, never used one, may want one. best expensive one, best budget one (for infrequent use).

Reactions: stoveliker
I have 3 units 2 of the 30 to 40$ type that
work fine for firewood. reasonably accurate
I also have a very expensive unit for furniture making
But it is not plug-and-play and is accurate to two decimal points
eg 10.21%

Reactions: all night moe
I have the MMD4E.
It works well. Is it accurate? No idea as I don't test it against another one.

Variability is more in temperature of the wood, type of wood, depth of the probes in the wood.

But it's consistent that when it reads below 18 pct the wood is behaving fantastic in the stove.

I'm happy with it. I test a few big splits from the batch for that year and don't bother otherwise. Three year rotation makes that possible.

I have a harbor freight $13 2nd year using it works great.

Edit: comes with button cell batteries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben Stark
Amazon has about 7 pages of them all price ranges
most with 4 to 41/2 star ratings They will all do what
you want from a meter. I don't believe one is better
than another until you get into the really expensive ones.

Reactions: stoveliker
I have a harbor freight $13 2nd year using it works great.
I’ve been using the Harbor Freight moisture meter for the last two years as well. It is small enough to fit in a pocket, works just fine and it’s fairly cheap too.

Reactions: Wildflush
I’ve been using the Harbor Freight moisture meter for the last two years as well. It is small enough to fit in a pocket, works just fine and it’s fairly cheap too.
Bought one for my buddy in Maine and he likes it also. Was sick of him telling me his oak was seasoned!

I have a MMD4E and also one of the Harbor Freight moisture meters. They both read fairly close to each other.

The MMD4E is easier to use since it’s bigger. Just easier to handle and stab into the wood.
Another downside of the Harbor Freight meter is it takes coin batteries. I hate those things.

But both meters will do the job.

I have a MMD4E and also one of the Harbor Freight moisture meters. They both read fairly close to each other.

The MMD4E is easier to use since it’s bigger. Just easier to handle and stab into the wood.
Another downside of the Harbor Freight meter is it takes coin batteries. I hate those things.
2nd year using it same set of batteries. Button cells. No problem using it for two seasons so far. MMD4E is twice the cost.

Yeah but it's a pretty simple piece of equipment. I don't see how a 2024 moisture meter could be so much better than a 2015. I've got tons of tools from the 90s and 2000s I prefer to the new stuff. Just saying!

The I have one that came with my Caddy furnace. I just knocked the dust off of it, found the 9v battery was dead. It works fine when it has a battery ;-)
I have 3 year seasoned firewood, so I never use it. I'm happy about that, not everyone has that luxury.

Reactions: all night moe