Current price of cut/split cord in your area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Locally selling 1.5 cords dry, "organic" wood for $240.

View attachment 238400

I've been seeing this "organic", "naturally seasoned", and "gluten free" b.s. tagged on a lot of firewood ads around here too. Ok the last one was a joke but geez.

Here in the U.P. It's around $80-$90 bucks a full cord delivered, you do the rest of the work. I have awesome fringe benefits from my boss $0 dollars I deliver on my own time.

We live on the nh/Maine border. I get seasoned cord of hard woods for $275, semi for $250 And green $225.

In central ohio, I sold some wood last year for $175 / cord delivered, $200 / cord if it was a long drive (two trips with the truck!). I found that price was above average for the area, but had no trouble getting repeat business once people figured out my wood was actually seasoned. Plenty of dead ash trees, so wood has been cheap. Most of the wood for sale has been really green, though.

We buy ~3 cords of red oak that is one year old each year at our vacation home in Pembine WI. Delivered to our yard is $195, its a 65 mile delivery for Pete. Down here in Fond du Lac a cord is much more, $300-350 a cord for oak. But I can scrounge off CL a few cords a year for our home down here. :)

We buy ~3 cords of red oak that is one year old each year at our vacation home in Pembine WI. Delivered to our yard is $195, its a 65 mile delivery for Pete. Down here in Fond du Lac a cord is much more, $300-350 a cord for oak. But I can scrounge off CL a few cords a year for our home down here. :)
65 miles each way? That’s pretty good that he will go that far to deliver wood in what must be a good sized truck to hold 3 cords. I see Pembine is east of me a ways. I’m in the Winter area.

65 miles each way? That’s pretty good that he will go that far to deliver wood in what must be a good sized truck to hold 3 cords. I see Pembine is east of me a ways. I’m in the Winter area.

Sorry, that's round trip @ 2 cents a mile. It's actually 8 face cords he dumps.

Sorry, that's round trip @ 2 cents a mile. It's actually 8 face cords he dumps.
2 cents a mile is laughingly cheap when compared to the 58 cents a mile that the feds and many businesses and public employers reimburse employees for vehicle use. But I guess I am getting off track here.

Attachments

• 8F1A9524-50E6-447C-8F8C-DAE38922D629.jpeg
    8F1A9524-50E6-447C-8F8C-DAE38922D629.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 144
Around these parts it typically around $250-$275/cord delivered. That is usually mostly Oak. If you want the mixed hardwoods (Popular and all) maybe around $225.

Wood burning is definitely a lifestyle choice. Anyone getting into it on a strictly economic basis is in for surprise. I have rarely bought firewood over the years and the vast majority of my wood comes from trees that are in the way or need thinning. Thus I have some gear that I would own anyhow. At best I may max out at 4 cords a year if I burned wood exclusively and less by using my minisplit to supplement. I am always looking for an excuse to get some exercise and since my woodlot is nearby, its a nice diversion. I dont mind hand splitting. One thing I don't own is a hydraulic log splitter. At 4 cords a year at most its hard to justify with the species of wood I was cutting (maple whitebirch ash and occasional cherry). This could change with my shift to Beech but I am going to give it a year or two and keep an eye out for a deal on a splitter or split one between a couple of folks.
We buy timber rights for timber sales in NH. The prices for firewood on the stump is between $2 - $20/cord. Sounds cheap, but the price doesn't include the cost of building logging roads, so that has to be figured in, and on the last sale I figured it would cost me an extra $87/cord to average the cost of the road in, then the logger charges $110 to cut it down, skid it to the landing, and deliver it tree length to the mill, then a processing charge is $50-$75/cord to cut and split it. Delivery cost is added after that. Total it up and add a little profit, and that is the cost of firewood. The folks that have their own lots and can drag it out can subtract the $87 road cost and most of the skidding and delivery costs and stumpage costs. On my own land I can get my own firewood for about $18/cord with a chain saw, gas powered winch, wheelbarrow and a pickup. And that is why you can have a big difference is hardwood firewood costs.

Interesting numbers, I had always been told that rarely would anyone actually intentionally cut a lot for firewood in New England? The firewood (or biomass fuel) would be a secondary product from a pre-commercial thinning cut to reduce the out of pocket cost for the owner, or wood that could not be sold for sawlogs or pallet wood from a commercial cut. I assume the recent loss of the smaller biomass plants in the region and lack of demand for hardwood pulp logs has caused a drop in the price of biomass chips so it comes down to leave it in the woods or sell it as firewood?. Of course the various news articles about the loss of the biomass subsidies claimed that timber landowners would just stop cutting due to the loss of revenue, do some high grading and then put their land up for sale for development. I guess if its a maple stand, the other option is lease it to someone for a sugarbush and take the hit on future potential defects in sawlogs.

In my case I need to knock back a lot of beech that went wild after the ice storm of 98 and thin out defective trees of other species so its either girdle them or turn them into firewood. I am fortunate that I have some roads in place but the steepness of the lot means much of them are only suitable for a skidder.

Last edited:
Seasoned wood valued at 200/cd is equal to #2 fuel oil around 1.50/gal or LP at 1.00.

We all know those numbers are never coming back.
Was reading through this thread today and saw this. Not sure what things are selling for today (trying to avoid looking at anything with #'s attached:)) but funny how fast things can change and as they say "never say never".

Interesting numbers, I had always been told that rarely would anyone actually intentionally cut a lot for firewood in New England? The firewood (or biomass fuel) would be a secondary product from a pre-commercial thinning cut to reduce the out of pocket cost for the owner, or wood that could not be sold for sawlogs or pallet wood from a commercial cut. I assume the recent loss of the smaller biomass plants in the region and lack of demand for hardwood pulp logs has caused a drop in the price of biomass chips so it comes down to leave it in the woods or sell it as firewood?. Of course the various news articles about the loss of the biomass subsidies claimed that timber landowners would just stop cutting due to the loss of revenue, do some high grading and then put their land up for sale for development. I guess if its a maple stand, the other option is lease it to someone for a sugarbush and take the hit on future potential defects in sawlogs.

In my case I need to knock back a lot of beech that went wild after the ice storm of 98 and thin out defective trees of other species so its either girdle them or turn them into firewood. I am fortunate that I have some roads in place but the steepness of the lot means much of them are only suitable for a skidder.
You are correct! In this case it is 1/2 the timber is saw logs, and the rest is low grade of one form or another. Most of it does go to firewood. However, in the northeast several of the schools, hospitals and government buildings have switched to sustainable fuels (wood chips)so if you can get a contract the price is good. Otherwise, biomass is cheap junk.
This year I am also concentrating on beech on my own land. The beech infestation that causes all those blisters on the beech needs to go! Any beech with a smooth truck I leave, but that is hardly any.

270 per cord semi seasoned and dumped. Mayne 170 per cord if you pick up. All hard wood. Lots of oak. Washington DC suburbs.

In Northern California split dry oak goes for 300 to 350 a cord. I usually get rounds in the summer and can find them for about 150 - 200 a cord. Pine rounds can be had for free all day long. So we stock up on pine rounds when we see an easy pile right next to the road and buy oak rounds when we see a good deal In the summer. Split them and keep them for a year or two.

In Northern California split dry oak goes for 300 to 350 a cord. I usually get rounds in the summer and can find them for about 150 - 200 a cord. Pine rounds can be had for free all day long. So we stock up on pine rounds when we see an easy pile right next to the road and buy oak rounds when we see a good deal In the summer. Split them and keep them for a year or two.
Is that what they call "Tan Oak"?. I did a tune up of the biomass power plant in Eureka (I think its now closed) and they were getting loads of Tan Oak for free. I think it was from pre-commercial thinning and if they didnt burn it in the plant, they would need to pay to get rid of it.

I don’t buy firewood but saw a cord of oak c/s a few miles from my house for $160.