current wood stove owner switching to pellets have questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the pony boy

Nov 5, 2011
putnam ny
first off i would like to say this is a great website and have already learned alot of information.

i have been burning wood for 6 years and love the heat it gives off but my poor stove needs some maintenance so i decided to up grade to a pellet stove. looks like im going to use one of the englander stoves, i have a 8' chimney now and i have seen the adapter to connect the pellet stove to the current wood chimney. my question is what type of pipe do i use? and wheres the best place to purchase pipe? thanks phil

Whatever type of pipe you have now, will dictate what type you have to buy. For example, if you have Simpson Dura-Vent tjen you mist buy the Simpson 8" to 3" (or 8" to 4") adapter and then connect it to Simpson Pellet vent.. Brands wont interchange. You must keep it the same.

Welcome to the Forum. What type of Englander? 10-CPM, 25-EP, 25-PDV?

How is your woodstove vented? Is it a straight up shot? Or does it go through a wall horizontally?

What type of Chimney/Vent/Flue do you have now? Selkirk, Simpson, Etc?

im not sure how to tell the brand of the chimney.its double walled i know that and its a straight shot up no bends. im looking at either the pdv or pdvc. i have a small ranch 1100 sq feet. so the bigger stove might not be necessary. i would like to get all the parts in advanced so i dont have to go with out a stove for any period of time. heres a quick pic any help is greatly appreciated. phil

Attachments

• stove.bmp
    591.1 KB · Views: 1,334
I know its a long shot. But is there any tags left on the Class A portion of the chimney? The piece that goes through your attic or on an outside piece?

Or possibly a pic of the outside. Close up to a seam. Some of the pros who install these all the time may be able to tell, just based on how one piece connects to the other.

I am only familiar with Simpson. And from that far away and not being an outside piece. I cannot help you. Closer pics or inside and outside pieces at the seam. Or look to see if it still has a tag (doubt it, but maybe in the area above your ceiling, before it penetrates the actual roof)

well i wound up getting the 55-SHPAHL. i liked the ash pan and large hopper. i will get those pics today and post them. the weather is still warm up here so i would like to get the parts for install before it gets to cold. cant wait! phil

here are some pics. can i use the simpson dura-vent stuff to make the connection?

Attachments

• stove1.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 561
  • stove2.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 544
  • stove3.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 540
  • stove4.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 549
You're going to connect it up at the ceiling thimble?

What ever is best. I just want to know what I'm up against before I take it down and can't install the pellet stove and have no heat. Lol

ok did a little more looking. the stainless chimney goes through the atiic and i guess ends in the thimble? in the living room ceiling. the flange on the ceiling says type th and the top part slides into the bottom part. i am a total newb and i would like to attach my new stove to my current chimney if possible. thanks phil

Attachments

• stove5.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 411
  • stove6.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 450
  • stove7.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 471
Is that a white tag on the Stainless Class A pipe on your roof? The pipe should be in pristine condition in your attic and have a label on it. It looks like one in your last pic. I cant tell what it is. There are a couple different kinds of Simpson. It does not look like what I have.

Also. The reducer on the stove. Does that go from 6"-8" ? It seems as if its homemade?

See if you can find a tag? If not, I dont know what else to tell you. Other than hire a chimney sweep. They are Very Familiar with the brands out there.

all the tags i found are unreadable.it does go 6 to 8. im thinking of just getting a standard vent kit and using that. i didnt think adapting the pellet to my current set up would be so tuff.lol

It all depends on what brand your stove pipe is. i got lucky and found adapters to go from 8" Metalbestos pipe to 4" Simpson:

Attachments

• Astoria 1.jpg
    Astoria 1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 389
  • Simpson_8674.jpg
    Simpson_8674.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 327
  • Simpson_9455.jpg
    Simpson_9455.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 320
imacman said:
It all depends on what brand your stove pipe is. i got lucky and found adapters to go from 8" Metalbestos pipe to 4" Simpson:

can you take a close up pic of the part where the adapter is? thanks phil

the pony boy said:
imacman said:

can you take a close up pic of the part where the adapter is? thanks phil

Not sure what part you mean.....want me to just take a pic of where the 4" meets the 8"?

OK....here it is:

Attachments

• DSCN0127.jpg
    DSCN0127.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 311
So the bottom smaller part is the adapter? And the the larger part by the ceiling is what was left after you removed the wood chimney? Also what's supposed to support the chimney? I didn't see any thing in the attic? If I remove the black part in the house will the rest of the chimney be supported? I assume so cause the one section by the ceiling looks to be adjustable. Sorry for the sillly questions I kinda just jumped into this with out much research. Phil.

The box in the ceiling that the stove pipe goes through, should be a support box. If the current installation is up to code and used the proper parts. That way the stove does not hold the weight of the chimney.

im pretty sure its up to code i have the c.o for it. i did find a sticker under the cap on the roof that said metalbestos is that a brand or a style of pipe? phil

Yep. Selkirk Metalbestos is a brand. Glnow go forth and see what adapters they have. They should make one like Simpson does. They "should" ??

imacman said:

looks like i have the same metalbestos pipe u had. where did you get your new pipe from? thanks phil

if you cant find a direct fit look into a universal adapter to fit the large pipe, I converted about 4 years ago & only ICS made a 4" pellet to 7" class A adapter.

the universal I have just fits over the tail piece of the ceiling thimble using high heat silicone and 4 sheet metal screws

you would have to check the brand of pellet pipe you plan to use to see if they offer a universal adapter, ICS is good pipe with a life time warranty but its the most expensive.

Attachments

• sp.jpg
    sp.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 189
Thanks. I did find some Selkirk pipe that should work. They have a 8" to 3" or 4" adapter. I'm still trying to find the best price on what I need. My plan is to tee out the stove straight up with a 60" pipe than use a 45 to a adjustable pipe than 45 into the adapter. But I have to see what height the tee is off the ground because the 60" pipe might be to long. The stove is still in the back of my pick up so getting a measurement is going to be tough. Thanks again phil.

Status
Not open for further replies.