CurrentTemp - web based instant current temp in your area (US only)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool85

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
I just made CurrentTemp v1.1 available to the public. It parses out an RSS feed from WeatherBug.com and then relays only the temperature but in ° F , ° C and ° K. My wife thinks I'm obsessed with unit conversion calculators and php...she might be right.

http://www.thatraymond.com/currenttemp.php

Also, a trick, if you want it to automatically load your zipcode, just fill it in like this (put your zipcode where the 04901 is):

http://www.thatraymond.com/currenttemp.php?zip=04901

Then if you bookmark that CURL it will automatically bring you up to your zipcode.

Let me know what you think :)

So I tried it, and got this:
23.8 °F
-4.6 °C
268.6 °K,

which is off by a mere 45 degrees or so.

Back to the drawing board . . .

Current temperature for zipcode 14001

35.6 °F
2 °C
275.2 °K

It's actually 39 out.... according to weather.com
40 on my thermo.

It got mine right. Same temp as the one showing in the task bar on my computer.

But an XML parsing error on the full forecast.

Current temperature for zipcode 11961

41.6 °F
5.3 °C
278.5 °K

'Bout right. Going down to 30ish tonight.
(yes Snow, that's above Zero
grinning-smiley-007.gif
)

I *knew* that.

I did.

Kids are headed off to see some friends for a few hours. After trying to start one car with inadequate plugged-in time, they went with the jeep instead. I am on the couch under a fuzzy blanket. I just noticed that I am still in my jammies and it is 6:09 pm. I've been trying all day to persuade myself and the kids to go out and pull down a few sledloads of birch from the garage. This might explain the jammies--if I bundle up, I probably will feel obligated to go outside. And trust me, it's NOT the 5.8F that the optimistic little Firebug is reporting.

I haven't been outside all day. Wait, take that back. I went out barefoot and barehanded long enough to knock apart some wood for kindling, since this is the first day in several that the fire died down enough to clean out ashes. Just about frostbit my hand on the axe handle--that was bitter.

It's still only -20 or so outside here, but it seems like once it's been that cold for awhile, it's colder than it was before. This is when zero literally starts seeming balmy. At zero the air feels soft against your skin as if it's blown in from a halcyon isle with fragrant flowers and the kiss of waves upon a shore, and you can inhale without regretting it.

5.8 °F
-14.6 °C
258.6 °K
Not.

ETA: Just checked the weather forecast, and found my motivation to get off the couch and go pull some birch in:
.TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. PATCHY ICE FOG. LOWS 30 TO 45 BELOW.
LIGHT WINDS.
.NEW YEARS DAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. PATCHY ICE FOG. HIGHS 25 TO
35 BELOW...EXCEPT AROUND 15 BELOW IN THE HILLS. LIGHT WINDS.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...BECOMING CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SNOW. LOWS AROUND
30 BELOW. This is my favorite part: TEMPERATURES RISING OVERNIGHT. LIGHT WINDS.
.MONDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SNOW. HIGHS 15 TO 25 BELOW.
LIGHT WINDS.

.MONDAY NIGHT...DECREASING CLOUDS. LOWS 30 TO 35 BELOW. LIGHT
WINDS.
.TUESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 30 BELOW.
.TUESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 40 BELOW.
.WEDNESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 30 BELOW.
.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SNOW. LOWS NEAR 40 BELOW.
.THURSDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 30 BELOW.
.THURSDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 40 BELOW.
.FRIDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 30 BELOW.
.FRIDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 40 BELOW.
.SATURDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 30 BELOW.

We've only got about three tough months ahead. Usually by April it's starting to moderate. And by June it should be warmer. And three months is only around 90 days. Although, crap, it's a leap year. 91. And 90-91 days is not a lot, several days less than 100.

joecool85 said:
I just made CurrentTemp v1.1 available to the public. It parses out an RSS feed from WeatherBug.com and then relays only the temperature but in ° F , ° C and ° K. My wife thinks I'm obsessed with unit conversion calculators and php...she might be right.

http://www.thatraymond.com/currenttemp.php

Also, a trick, if you want it to automatically load your zipcode, just fill it in like this (put your zipcode where the 04901 is):

http://www.thatraymond.com/currenttemp.php?zip=04901

Then if you bookmark that CURL it will automatically bring you up to your zipcode.

Let me know what you think :)
Hey, joecool85, you need a weather station.....that will help your addiction ;-P Check my link to my weather station web page in my signature. Have kept it since 2006. Folks around here rely on it. When it goes down, I hear about. :bug:

BrotherBart, what zipcode did you use that it gave you a parsing error for on the full forecast?

As for the others where the forecast was off, this uses the WeatherBug.com directories which guess at what weather station is closest to the zipcode you put in, MOST of the time it's pretty good, but it certainly isn't perfect! I think I may add in some code so it tells you what weather station it is reporting from and what date/time the temp was taken.

**edit**
For those of you having issues with it not being accurate, please click the Full Forecast button and see if WeatherBug.com was retrieving close weatherstation data.

tfdchief said:
Hey, joecool85, you need a weather station.....that will help your addiction ;-P Check my link to my weather station web page in my signature. Have kept it since 2006. Folks around here rely on it. When it goes down, I hear about. :bug:

Hey...that's not such a bad idea...

I have released version 2.0, this one shows where the data is coming from. As I was doing this I noticed that WeatherBug was pulling data for me from all over the state if I kept refreshing it...I'm thinking they're having some issues on their end.

Status
Not open for further replies.