Curring problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
NY
I have had my Summit for almost a year now and it seems anything over 450F stack temp I get that curring of paint smell. I have been using this stove pretty much 24/7 when it is cold. I wish I would have brought it outside yesterday when before I put furnace cement at the seems of the piping. Now I am not going to move it for a while, too much work.....

What do I need to do to stop this curring smell, upsetting the wife along with myself. I am thinking I need to burn this hotter for a much longer period of time? Any idea how long, I have been burning it hotter a little here and there but because of the smell, I shut her down. My Avalon curred in about 3 weeks no problem.
For the Summit this is frustrating, Help.......

I would think that after a year there would not be anything left to burn off. If you make a couple of fires with sustained temps of 500* - 600* it should'nt take more than a few days to burn it off.

Jim

Would agree with that, each time you get to a progressively hotter temp, you get the paint smell. Take that baby up to 650 and leave it there for a while....

Yeah about what I suggested in the other post. Get a good ripping hot fire and sustain the temps for a while. I'd shoot for 8 hours at like 650 deg or so. Just be careful not to get the whole thing glowing.

jtp10181 said:
Yeah about what I suggested in the other post. Get a good ripping hot fire and sustain the temps for a while. I'd shoot for 8 hours at like 650 deg or so. Just be careful not to get the whole thing glowing.

And have a nice night sleeping in the garage.

Ya, wait till the wife is away, open all the windows and bring that puppy up to 750 stovetop for 2-3 hours. Every new plateau is a new stink, so run it to the top and get it over with.

I have a feeling that after a year the problem might have been the bent/ leaking stovepipe.... which is now sealed right?

Can't imagine a stove running for a year and still curring.

BrotherBart said:
jtp10181 said:

And have a nice night sleeping in the garage.

Sorry... don't have a wood stove. Guess that would make the house a little warm huh? We have to tell our customers to run thier gas units for 8 hours straight on the highest setting. Thats like 25-30k BTU for 8 hours! We tell them to open some windows.

Yeah that Summit would probably be shedding something like 70,000 BTUs an hour like that. The stove wouldn't be glowing but your cheeks would.

Gunner said:
Ya, wait till the wife is away, open all the windows and bring that puppy up to 750 stovetop for 2-3 hours. Every new plateau is a new stink, so run it to the top and get it over with.

I have a feeling that after a year the problem might have been the bent/ leaking stovepipe.... which is now sealed right?

Can't imagine a stove running for a year and still curring.

Yep, all the lower connections have been sealed with Furnace cement. Seemed to have taken care of the smoke that was in the house every once in a while. Fired it up to 450 today, still curring smell. I am planning for Thursday 8:00am to let her rip for about 3 hours, with the good seasoned wood I have that will no problem to get her to 650 for 3 hours. I am confident this will solve the problem, if not....hmmmmmmmm........Might gripe to the local dealer(as if that would do anything....)
Thanks Gunner

That furnace cement is going to smell the first time it gets hot too. As long as you have been burning in that stove that cannot be a stove curing smell.

What else could the smell be then, this only smells when it gets above 450F. Under this temp. there is no smell at all. This same smell has been going on well before yesterday when I put the furnace cement on. I am still thinking I need to burn it hotter for a while. I usually get it to 500F and shut her down a little. She burns mostly 375-400.
If it is not curring, then I am really stumped

Your not burning Sycamore are you? I get a funny plastic burning type of smell when I get sycamore at the 500 mark or so. My stove is going on 30 years old so I KNOW what mine is.. Strange that it makes its way into the room even tho smoke ETC does not. Either way..

Jason

BrotherBart said:
That furnace cement is going to smell the first time it gets hot too. As long as you have been burning in that stove that cannot be a stove curing smell.

I have seen gas fireplaces that have been used for 7 years and still have burn-off smell! Issue is they only used them for 1-2 hours so they never get to full temps for a long time, if even at all. I think if he burns it at 600+ for a couple hours that should help a great deal.

What I have found is regardless how long the stove has been burning. Each and every time it reaches a higher temp than it has before, it cures a lil or at least stinks od curing. And once in a while, usually when first getting her going for the season, it has that burnt grandma dust smell.

usually when first getting her going for the season, it has that burnt grandma dust smell.

LOL - what has your grandma been smokin?

BeGreen said:
usually when first getting her going for the season, it has that burnt grandma dust smell.

LOL - what has your grandma been smokin?

Hogz -maybe you should dust grandma off once in a while. ;-)

Hi, My new stove is enamel and it didn't have any burn off. :)

Jim

got sick of it too but my summit is only about 2 weeks old. I ran her up to about 795 (was shooting for 750 but nature called) and then shut the air down watching for any glowing metal their was none. but it stayed at the 750+ mark for over an hour then inched it's way back down viola no more paint smell. turned on a fan or 2 opened the windows doors ex-cetera then it was in the 70's the next day so I guess the warn spell in mid MO was my fault :coolsmile:

Update #1,
Let it rip for about 1:45 minutes this morning at 700F temps, damn was I nervous at this temp. I opened all the windows up to keep the stink out. When the fire was down to 300F I loaded with 3 smaller pieces and up she went to 500F, didn't notice any smell this time, the problem is I have a bad sense of smell so we will see when the wife comes home.
I will probably do this again sometime soon so hopefully this will take care of anymore curring.
In the future I will probably heat it up to about 600F then shut her down to 400-450F for a good long burn
Thanks guys for the help. I will keep you posted

Praise the Lord! He's cured.

Status
Not open for further replies.