Cursive Writing a Thing of the Past?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never understood the point of it TBH

People argue over various copies and interpretations of the Bible, the original text being lost. Perhaps the same will be said about the Constitution, when no one can read it?

Constitution_Pg1of4_AC.jpg

About time that something invented to keep from damaging the quill or causing ink splotches went away.

..there's not even a cursive button on my keyboard....lemme check the various fonts.....

Haven't used cursive in over 20 years. About the only one I know that does is my grandmother.

I can't talk without cursing;)
Me either !!!. A couple of weeks ago my 6 year old asked me if I knew how to write in cursive, so I told him I did but I could only remember half of the alphabet :confused:. Guess I need a refresher course too. I do think it should be a requirement though. Isnt that what school is for ? learning stuff.

Cursive has fallen by the wayside for me as well I've done so little of it over the past 40 years that I have a hard time doing it.. Even block printing in lower case is a challenge since I was taught it in vocational school starting in 1971.. I thought I was the only one that had this issue..

Ray

I have found after the military and civilian life cursive is the most useless waste of communication time. I also have found that teaching it is still important because it is a good way of exercising ones brain.

Pete

Reactions: will711 and raybonz
I have found after the military and civilian life cursive is the most useless waste of communication time. I also have found that teaching it is still important because it is a good way of exercising ones brain.

Pete
I agree it is an art form.. In colonial times they had beautiful handwriting..

Reactions: Pallet Pete
My daughter is learning it in school now. It is like riding a bike for me. I had about 7 or 8 years of it in school, and helping her takes me back. I don't see much use for it, but I've seen many old postcards and letters over the years that were written in cursive that I could read.

I found these papers dated 1922 under our stairway while doing a renovation. They belonged to a 13 y/o girl that lived in our house in 1922 and most likely went to the local school. Her family came from Nova Scotia around 1897. My wife was able to research city census records that listed household members.

IMG_3425.JPG IMG_3426.JPG

Reactions: Ashful and raybonz
I actually prefer cursive handwriting. I have a habit of mixing cursive and print as I write, kind of a personal "shorthand" (remember that???? :p).

I think cursive reveals alot about a person.

i write only in cursive, writing "block letter" is tiring to the hand , which is probably why the cursive "font" was invented to start with.

admittedly with the age of computers cursive is falling out of favor as everyone who uses computers and other electronic devices are becoming much more used to "block letters"

personally i think cursive is more personal. i remember getting letters from family while stationed overseas lo those many years ago, you always felt the comfort of a pen stroke, the recognition of a loved one's handwriting. e-mails are so cold in comparison when you are far away

Reactions: raybonz and Dix
my kids middle school teaches it, they are making a point to keep it alive here. Whenever I write something i do it in cursive.

i write only in cursive, writing "block letter" is tiring to the hand , which is probably why the cursive "font" was invented to start with.

admittedly with the age of computers cursive is falling out of favor as everyone who uses computers and other electronic devices are becoming much more used to "block letters"

personally i think cursive is more personal. i remember getting letters from family while stationed overseas lo those many years ago, you always felt the comfort of a pen stroke, the recognition of a loved one's handwriting. e-mails are so cold in comparison when you are far away
I agree with you Mike! I was taught block printing and required to use it when I was in vocational HS as drafting was part of the electrical course so it was all caps block printing which made sense for readability.. When in the Navy a hand written letter was always a welcome sight and at times cursive can portray emotion better but regardless I never write as I once did so I would need lots of practice like the nuns who pounded it into me many years ago lol..

Ray

Always loved Edwardian script.

Reactions: raybonz
Penmanship is a thing if the past. With so many ways of communication. Kids these days only communicate through, text, email, FB, Tweets, or YouTube.

Kinda sad... :( There was once a day where ones penmanship showed there pride in a letter. Putting pen to paper is almost a thing of the past. :(

My daughter is learning it in school now. It is like riding a bike for me. I had about 7 or 8 years of it in school, and helping her takes me back. I don't see much use for it, but I've seen many old postcards and letters over the years that were written in cursive that I could read.

I found these papers dated 1922 under our stairway while doing a renovation. They belonged to a 13 y/o girl that lived in our house in 1922 and most likely went to the local school. Her family came from Nova Scotia around 1897. My wife was able to research city census records that listed household members.

View attachment 100096 View attachment 100097

Letters like these are amazing to see and read. Cursive was an art in these days. My wife's 85 yr old Grandmother has the nicest cursive I have seen. But she was raised in a day, when that mattered.

I am beginning to think I just dropped in from another time! How do you folks sign your name? Don't you ever write nice notes on cards? Mind you, my handwriting is so horrendous, that this is why I learned to type, so yes, I will usually type a letter, but when I am jotting down notes, especially during phone conversations, I find cursive much faster than printing. Of course, then I have to decipher my own hand...;em

Reactions: raybonz
I love receiving a piece of paper with cursive writing on it. If it is a check and the cursive is the signature.

I love receiving a piece of paper with cursive writing on it. If it is a check and the cursive is the signature.

I was just thinking . . . if they don't teach cursive handwriting how will people sign their checks . . . and then I realized . . . probably many folks don't have to worry about checks these days with direct banking, ATMS, debit cards, etc.

I actually prefer cursive handwriting. I have a habit of mixing cursive and print as I write, kind of a personal "shorthand" (remember that???? :p).

I think cursive reveals alot about a person.

That's how I write too! And I agree that hand written notes and letters add a personal touch. My Daughter's in 3d grade and they've stopped teaching cursive as well as spelling! But she learns these lost arts on her own, and writes to her friends all the time. So much easier to throw a typed letter in the round file.

they've stopped teaching cursive as well as spelling!

AutoCorrect is proof enough that we still need to teach proper spelling.

Cursive? Meh... could become much like calligraphy. An artform learned for pleasure more so than utility.

As for how do you sign your name? Some of these kids have a hard time remembering their name, let alone signing it. :p

Reactions: raybonz and Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.