Cursor automatically moving up into quote when replying?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P38X2

Minister of Fire
Mar 11, 2012
Jaffrey, NH
Prob just an Android glitch but when I quote a message using the "reply" button, I'll get 5-15 characters into my reply and at some point the cursor jumps into the quote and bogarts the message. Then, the "draft saved" feature kicks in and complicates things further if I attempt to delete and re-reply to the previous post. This happens regardless of whether my browser is in Android or Desktop mode BUT DOESN'T happen every time. All other forum features work normally.

Android glitch? Anyone else using Android notice this?

OK, this issue seems to be happening when the "draft saved" feature kicks in. Is there a way to disable it?

OK, this seems to be happening when the "draft saved" feature kicks in. Is there a way to disable it?uote="P38X2, post: 1529701, member: 22130"]Prob just an Android glitch but when I quote a message using the "reply" button, I'll get 5-15 characters into my reply and at some point the cursor jumps into the quote and bogarts the message. Then, the "draft saved" feature kicks in and complicates things further if I attempt to delete and re-reply to the previous post. This happens regardless of whether my browser is in Android or Desktop mode BUT DOESN'T happen every time. All other forum features work normally.

Android glitch? Anyone else using Android notice this?[/quote]
Ok

I just quoted my first message and replied to it so you can see what is happening.

It usually doesn't happen almost immediately like it did in this example.

I believe that piece of code is written in javascript. Turning off javascript in the browser should keep autosave from running. I know of no user control in the forum software to turn autosave on or off.

The most valuable place would be in the wiki. Typing for a while, coming back and finding all of your worked wiped out because your machine or network burped is not a happy experience. Probably not that valuable in replies to posts since, hopefully, they aren't War and Piece.

In fact to keep that from happening anything over a few lines I do in a text editor and cut and paste it to the Forum.

I'll try the above suggestions. Thanks guys. I really like the autosave feature. I'm fairly confident it has saved me a bunch of times since it was implemented. Last year I had to rewrite numerous half written posts due to putting my phone on standby or responding to a text, etc.

I'll give the turning off the rich text editor a shot. Nope, didn't work ;)ote="webbie, post: 1529882, member: 2"]Just for fun, turn off the "rich text editor" in your prefs (under your user name at upper right menu)....[/quote]
Ill

Before I disable JavaScript in my browser (not even sure what that does, or what will be screwed up if its off) let me try something else. If you look at the last 2 screwed up quote replies, my phone spell checked "Ill" to "I'll" and "Ok" to "OK", the latter being how I have "OK" entered into my user dictionary. Immediately after those corrections, the cursor jumped into the quote. Wonder if that's the issue and somehow Android isn't liking the forum format, or vice versa.

Stand by...

The draft feature is in fact deactivated with the rich script feature turned off. I just quoted and replied to my last post and made sure I carefully entered my text so as not to activate the phone's spell check. The cursor stayed where it was supposed to be until I went to delete a word. It then jumped up into the quote (which I deleted to keep this post tidy) so I don't think the draft saver feature or spellcheck is the issue.

I'll try disabling JavaScript a little later tonight and see if that helps.

Webbie, I hear ya on the spell check. Android has a few diff keyboard features. Next word prediction is one of them...and I HATE it. Screws with every post, text, email etc. Spell check, however, I can't live without. The touch keyboard on my phone is way too small to type accurately, at least not without precision hen pecking it.

Warning! Warning! Don't disable Javascript. I just checked and TinyMCE the editor in this version of the forum software is written in Javascript. Whoops.

JavaScript engaged. Unless you guys find there's some glitch in your software, I'm gonna assume it's an Android issue. Maybe it has something to do with my keyboard settings as Webbie sort of alluded to. I get a bit of funkiness on other forums as well, though not the same issue. I bet this is an area where Tapatalk may be beneficial.

I'll keep you posted if I figure it out.

I'm sure this isn't the most popular sub forum, but I wonder how many other members are experiencing this issue. Out of curiosity, is there a way for you guys to tell what percentage of posts are done with smart phones vs PCs?

Only if we call the NSA. ;lol

Reactions: P38X2
I have all those stats...and i have an android tablet. I'll check and see if I experience any issues, although I usually use tapatalk on my portables....

Looks like a decent amount of Android users - maybe 7%

Screen Shot 2013-09-28 at 11.23.27 PM.png

Thanks, webbie. Wow, Ida' thunk smartphones would've been a much higher percentage. I can't imagine dragging my PC to work to hide off in some corner to obsess about stoves ;) Of course, maybe a lot of members have access to comps at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.