Custom Enameled BK Ashford

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alforit

Feeling the Heat
Jan 30, 2013
Northern Idaho
Thought Y'all might like to see my Blaze King Ashford I just had custom enameled.==c
It took a little while to get it back from the enameling plant , but was worth the wait.

wood stove 114.JPG ==c wood stove 112.JPG

Attachments

• wood stove 112.JPG
    wood stove 112.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
it was the standard flat black finish

Nice! :cool: Is that straight brown or has it got a tinge of red?

Reactions: alforit
Reactions: Woody Stover
The color is called Red Brick.....It looks almost a mahogany like color.
Sounds beautiful. You may get more guys drooling with some better pics of the color... ;)

Very nice. I like the color.

Reactions: alforit
Sounds beautiful. You may get more guys drooling with some better pics of the color... ;)

Yeah its hard to get the true color with a camera............At least the two that I have don't seem to catch it exactly..........Here is another that might come closer
stove 016.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful, a daytime shot may show off the color better. Was this a painted stove at the start? A lot of folks are waiting for this stove to show up in blue-black enamel. Maybe this is an option? What were the steps and what did it cost?

Beautiful, a daytime shot may show off the color better. Was this a painted stove at the start? A lot of folks are waiting for this stove to show up in blue-black enamel. Maybe this is an option? What were the steps and what did it cost?

Thanks Begreen ..
My Ashford was the plain Black metallic color . I originally wanted it in the chestnut brown enamel, but when I saw multiple pictures of it I quickly changed my mind. I did not like that color.
So I decided to just get the plain black and then get it custom enameled. That was an interesting journey to say the least .....I found out quickly that there are very few enameling factories and even less that will do this for someone who wants a custom job done, Took me some time to find one . The job cost was $960 plus shipping. I had to send it to Missouri . I sent them just the cast iron pieces (This stove is cast iron clad). Taking everything off the stove and putting the stove on cinderblocks was a little involved.( But that is a story for another post or for someone that wants to know how to do it). Shipping for me was around 130.00 each way (From Washington state). There were a few glitches in the process of getting this done which took several months due to turnaround time. But is was well worth it . It turned out better than I had expected. And the customer service from this enameling plant is amazing. I know a couple of stove companies that could take a lesson from these guys. ;)

I will get a couple daytime pics posted........the color is called Red Brick. It looks different depending on the type of light hitting it , So its hard to describe.......It looks mostly mahogany to me. The color selection from the factory is limited....I don't know about a blue-black option because that's not the color range I was looking for.

Oh and thanks for adjusting my pics from monster sized to nicely viewable.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: webfish
Beautiful, but now my wife wants me to do the same......thanks alot <>;lol

The Lopi Leyden was available in "Fire Run Red. It looked red for sure when it was cold. Once it heats up it turns a very dark red almost brown color. I'm curious to see if yours changes color a little once it's fired up.

The Lopi Leyden was available in "Fire Run Red. It looked red for sure when it was cold. Once it heats up it turns a very dark red almost brown color. I'm curious to see if yours changes color a little once it's fired up.

Do they enamel the back? How did it look when glowing? ;lol

Absolutely Wow! Hopefully someone w/ BK ties is looking at this, I'm still saying wow.

BK has been more about function than form. It's just learning that attractive stoves sell, hopefully well for them. My wife would not consider one in the living room until she saw the Ashford.

My wife would not consider one in the living room until she saw the Ashford.
I don't expect you to switch stoves, but you could surprise me. You do live in a cat climate...
al, where are the daylight pictures? We grow impatient... ;)

I wouldn't mind trying out a BK, if nothing else for the education. It's better suited for our climate, but my wife is not hot on their two enamel colors. She likes blue-black better and I do like the simple design of the PE. To it's credit though I think the Ashford enameling is good quality. I think it's finished better than the T5 or Neo. The latch mechanism is much better.

The BK is def more a function stove, I have one and man its great, today its 40 deg out so I turned the heat setting down to 1 1/4, first time for that, never had a stove that I could honestly say you can control the heat output

If the stove is sized right to the house and the floorplan is open, it's not hard to keep an even comfortable temp. It was 39F this morning, 41F now. I refired the T6 up 2 hrs ago. House is at 70F, LR is at 74F. Nice even heat, without a thermostat. I control how much heat the stove puts out by the quantity of fuel I put in and how quickly I turn down the fire. The cast iron jacket softens the heat a lot and stores it up for release later as the stove cools down. The house stays remarkably even tempered. Mass rules.

I suspect because the enameling is on a shell and not the firebox, that there will be little color change. Our Jotul OTOH which is cranberry when cool, also darkens when hot.

stove 2 005.JPG Here are a couple daytime pics..........stove 2 007.JPG

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.