Custom Enameled BK Ashford

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's shed some light on that beauty.

stove-2-007.jpg stove-2-005.jpg

Reactions: Cynnergy
Your originals are still posted. I just lightened up the shadows in your pictures and reposted them. The shots are very dark.

Last edited:
Your originals are still posted. I just lightened up the shadows in your pictures and reposted them. The shots are very dark.

Thanks for the attempt. But what happens when I let more light in is that it distorts the color........The photo may be darker but the color and shade is very accurate.....not perfect but closer.
Actually I realized that a camera doesn't do real life justice...==c

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is perhaps in the eyes of the beholder. :) Looks good in the light of the day too. Most colors do this. The blue black enamel can look almost black at night and blue grey during the daytime.

Reactions: Ashful
That's better.

Looks great :cool:

Reactions: charger4406
The Lopi Leyden was available in "Fire Run Red. It looked red for sure when it was cold. Once it heats up it turns a very dark red almost brown color. I'm curious to see if yours changes color a little once it's fired up.

Hmmm.....Interesting, I have been looking about what you said and haven't noticed any color change like that

I wouldn't mind trying out a BK, if nothing else for the education. It's better suited for our climate, but my wife is not hot on their two enamel colors. She likes blue-black better and I do like the simple design of the PE. To it's credit though I think the Ashford enameling is good quality. I think it's finished better than the T5 or Neo. The latch mechanism is much better.

I have to agree with your wife on this one about not liking the enamel choices from Blaze King !!!:p
I don't know about the quality of the enamel finish on the Ashford but I did see the quality of the the enamel finish used by Harman and quadrafire on some of their stoves including the Isle Royale.
It is called porcelain Mahogany and it was my first choice for the color of my stove. Unfortunately the parent company of quad and Harman which has a factory and porcelainizing plant right here in Washington state , does not offer custom enameling work to the public. Only for their own stoves. That porcelain mahogany finish they do is beautiful . And is a two part process . First coat is a solid light almond color and then they put a semi-transparent dark mahogany color on over it as the second coat........That gives the stove those highlights you see in the corners and edges........My stove is not a two part color process , but is one solid color. And I believe it is put on in more than one step but has a different protocol for the process.

Last edited:
Actually I think most stoves get 3 coats. The final coat is the clear coat that gives it gloss and depth. The blue black enameled stoves don't have this step making their finish more of a semi-gloss. At least that's what I've been told. Jotul has this finish down pat. Hearthstone did too, at least for a while. Not sure if they still do.

Actually I think most stoves get 3 coats. The final coat is the clear coat that gives it gloss and depth. The blue black enameled stoves don't have this step making their finish more of a semi-gloss. At least that's what I've been told. Jotul has this finish down pat. Hearthstone did too, at least for a while. Not sure if they still do.

If that is the case then I don't think my stove has that final clear coat......Its glossy but not the glass like mirror finish of the isle royale and yes, the jotul which I forgot to mention. That finish is amazing looking also.

That's really pretty. :cool: Did you have to "break in" the new paint job, like breaking in a new stove, with a couple low fires?

That's really pretty. :cool: Did you have to "break in" the new paint job, like breaking in a new stove, with a couple low fires?

Glad you asked that question because no I didn't have to do any break in fires. And I was curious myself as to why it didn't give off any odor at all. In fact its more neutral smelling when hot than is was the whole time with the black metallic finish all the way up until I sent it in to get it enameled.

Last edited:
Oh please no. A porcelained Princess would look like a cross between a styrofoam to-go box and a 1990 front loading washer. <>

Last edited:
The Sirrocco on the other hand might look pretty good.

Oh please no. A porcelained Princess would look like a cross between a styrofoam to-go box and a 1990 front loading washer. <>

Except you can see through the glass of the washer.

The Sirocco and Ashford also have vertical doors instead of a slight projecting angle on the Princess. That probably helps the airwash. But for their good looks they have to sacrifice a little efficiency. Nothing is perfect.

The Sirocco and Ashford also have vertical doors instead of a slight projecting angle on the Princess. That probably helps the airwash. But for their good looks they have to sacrifice a little efficiency. Nothing is perfect.
I don't think there is any sacrifice. :cool:

Look like it's about 7% less efficient according to the EPA numbers (CSA B415.1).

Status
Not open for further replies.