Custom heat shields

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
I need heat shields for lintels and door jambs on two different fireplaces. I imagine all will need to be custom items. Is there a go-to kind of place for something like this, or am I best just calling one of the sheetmetal shops my company uses for industrial rack enclosures? I have yet to find a one-stop Heatshields-R-Us.

I have a pretty good sized roll of heavy copper flashing on the shelf, so that may be an option. Then again, I was planning to do it in steel and paint it black. As pretty as copper may be, I'd rather just not see the shields. Also, if I do them on the door jambs, they're likely to see some abuse.

We used a sheet metal shop. It had to be thicker than standard flashing - the exact gauge needed was in the stove manual.

Obadiah's Woodstoves makes very nice custom heat shields for their line of cookstoves. They also do custom heat shields for other applications, if you know what you want, they can make it, or make some suggestions on what the best way would be to go about it. Constructed of double layered steel sheet metal with a 1" air space and provide a 67% reduction in clearances to combustibles. The best part is the heat shields actually take the radient energy and convert it heating the air as it passes through the heat shield. Designed by a firefighter engineer they actually work very well. http://www.discountstoves.net/cookstove_heat_shield_s/164.htm

OB hit the nail on the head, beat me to it on clearances. I'm with Jags on the copper, would love the look of custom bent copper near the hearth. Get the break out and do it!

Hmm... I think that copper would have to be pretty darn thick to withstand any sort of abuse on the door jambs. Above, on the lintel, it's less of a problem. Then again, one will never see that lintel shield!

Status
Not open for further replies.