Custom Kindling Convector

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdog2o02

Minister of Fire
Mar 25, 2014
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
I have a bunch of processing to do and figure i will have plenty of kindling as a result. I made two of these today. Its a black 32 gallon garbage can with 1" holes drilled 1" down from the top of the can and 4" up from the bottom. The big holes are spaced at 7" and i drilled a half dozen 7/32" holes in the bottom in case any rainwater gets in. I plan to place it in the sun in my driveway and let the sun turn it into a convection oven. Should dry it out quick over the summer and keep it that way in the winter....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I have a bunch of processing to do and figure i will have plenty of kindling as a result. I made two of these today. Its a black 32 gallon garbage can with 1" holes drilled 1" down from the top of the can and 4" up from the bottom. The big holes are spaced at 7" and i drilled a half dozen 7/32" holes in the bottom in case any rainwater gets in. I plan to place it in the sun in my driveway and let the sun turn it into a convection oven. Should dry it out quick over the summer and keep it that way in the winter....

This is what I've been doing for the time I've been burning under my own roof. The convection/solar oven concept here works pretty well especially if the plastic barrel is black and baking in the direct sun.

I put my kindling in black barrels also. Mine don't have holes though, I leave out in the summer on sunny days and then move it under my deck when it dries. It doesn't seem to take very long to dry, and then moving it under a roof keeps it dry until fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.