Custom Made Fire Poker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
My homemade fire poker from the teenage years. It works better than those factory made pointed pokers. It's really heavy, so you just kind of let it plop down, then pull, and everything has no choice but to be raked forward.

It was built as a joint effort one fine evening between me and some of my partying buddies. It's outlived several stoves, but we originally designed it for an old barrel stove. After that, a Ben Franklin cast iron fireplace/stove, an airtight automatic heater, and a box stove. I still use it now, but I have to hide it in the ash bucket behind the wood box. I'm told it's too ugly to have it prominently displayed, but to me it's a work of art filled with good memories! And fully functional too.
IMG_4382.jpg

The fancy handle, recycled from a broken pitchfork. Note the equally impressive cotter pin securing it to the metal rod. Also, it has a hole for hanging by the stove through which we originally looped a leather shoelace.
IMG_4383.jpg

The working end, with impaired precision welding. The holes serve no purpose; they were already in the piece of scrap metal we used to make it.
IMG_4384.jpg

hummm, held up for years and has a story behind it...that's what I would call a 'heritage' tool. Congratulations.

The proper term for that is a hoe. An ash hoe to be more precise.

I like it!

Here's my homemade poker...

tools_close.gif

Nice welding.

wahoowad said:
I like it!

Here's my homemade poker...
Pretty! I would probably be allowed to display mine in plain view if it was as nice looking as yours!

i like it quads. looks like the perfect companion for an older stove and would fit in perfect at any camp!

quads said:
LLigetfa said:
quads said:
LLigetfa said:
Nice welding.
That's precision alcohol welding.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be an ash hoe.
Are you just poker-ing fun? Ha ha!
Not really. WRT the welding, I was commenting on the job wahoowad did. Momma told me, "if you have nothing good to say..."

That said, it is nice to hold on to something from one's youth that's practical and has passed the test of time. I keep meaning to take the handle from the whisk in my set and convert it into a combo hoe and rake. The hoe part to shove everything to the back and the rake part to separate the coals and drag them forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.