Custom made gaskets for vintage stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherrie

Sep 20, 2012
Puget Sound region
Hi, I posted a few weeks ago about replacing my vintage Morso, model 1124 - from about 1983.

I got some great advice here, but I just can't bite the bullet and give up this stove - I love it so much! Nothing compares aesthetically and it is the perfect size, shape and heat output. Getting a new one feels like too much of a risk.

So I was looking at it again tonight when cleaning out the ash (it burns so hot that there is barely any ash). There are two smallish oval windows in the double doors. The glass is held in place by something (a gasket?) that is attached inside the stove and looks as if the gaskets are screwed into place. They look to be made out of some kind of hard substance (not metal) that I would guess was asbestos, if I wasn't pretty sure asbestos was banned by 1983.

Anyway, both of the gaskets have warped so much that they have cracked; a clean break type crack, one per gasket, but they are still held in place by the screws and are in no danger of falling out. I'm sure they allow too much air and limit my ability to damp down the fire to hold overnight like I used to be able to do. It's not a huge problem because I'm in the PNW and our frigid nights are limited.

But I'd like to get new gaskets installed and no parts are available for these stoves. Is there any place that custom makes these types of things for wood stoves? What would I look for in my area? I found a man in the Portland area many years ago who was able to get the pattern from Morso for my smoke shelf/baffle and he created a new cast iron one for me, after mine warped and nearly burned up, but I'm not sure he's still around. I can't find him - and these gaskets aren't cast iron anyway.

Thanks for any help or ideas you can give.

1124_lille.jpg

I moved your thread over to the classic stoves room.

Any chance you can share a pic of the glass and gaskets in question?

I moved your thread over to the classic stoves room.

Any chance you can share a pic of the glass and gaskets in question?
Thank you.
I'll see if I can get it to show in a photo...
I thought of posting in classic stoves, but didn't see much traffic. Thought the folks who have lots of experience with stoves and parts (in the regular woodstove room) might know where to have something custom made. Vintage parts are not available so I really need info about what kind of "machine shop" or ? might fashion one from my old ones.

If your camera has the little flower button or option (I think it's called Macro) turn that on and you can get some good close up shots. Works well for things inside of 20 inches.

Uploading to the site is pretty easy so long as your picture isn't huge.

pen

Morso glass.jpgMorso cracked gasket.jpg
The glass doesn't look very "glassy" in these pics, but it is.

Sherrie that looks like a collar that holds the glass and it's rope gasket in place. If it's not leaking, then it should not be a problem. If it is leaking air, a new collar could be made out of any thick sheet gasket material...something like Spectre 565:

http://www.carid.com/spectre/item-3110487.html

It can be cut with heavy shears or scissors and you can use the old collar for a pattern.

Motor7, Thank you!! That was exactly what I needed. Who knew I'd be the "shop" making a custom gasket. Maybe I'll just take it apart and put new rope gasket. After 30 years it probably could use it.

Thanks again.

Sherrie

Status
Not open for further replies.