Custom made VC combustion box.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webby3650

Master of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
As everyone knows, VC combustion packages are very vulnerable and are often blown out way to soon. I see it all the time and can't justify buying one. So I made one! It's made entirely out of skamol. I plan to put it to the test here soon! This is my first prototype and is an exact replica of the original. I brought home an old encore that needed almost all new internal parts and I couldn't resist.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 189
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 177
That's really cool, good luck with it. The VC reliability is the only reason I don't own one.

Looking good. The old combustion package is in better shape than some we see here. How much did the skamol run?

It looks like the 0028 model. Is this board easily available?

Looking good. The old combustion package is in better shape than some we see here. How much did the skamol run?
The old box is actually a new one that has been floating around the shop for years. I'm just using it for a pattern. I'm not sure how much the skamol runs, these were scrap pieces.

I've had several fires now with the new box, I've been very impressed! Everything held together great. So I decided to make a non-cat version just for kicks. Here it is with the back off of it. Next cold snap I'll be giving it a try.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 123
Just got a call from Bethel. They said tell ya to knock it off. ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.