Custom searching of the entire Hearth.com site....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Please check the search box on the bottom right hand side of the main page at:
http://www.hearth.com

and try it out. If folks like it, I will add it to most parts of the site so that a user can search the entire site (all areas) at once.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 199
Tried a search and it seemed to work well.

I tried it out and it seems to work well. Some of the descriptions of the threads seem a little weird but it seems to find things well. Does of course, have advertisements but you don't get something for nothing and the ads do not distract from the value of the search engine. I say go for it.

I could cut down or remove the ads....I think maybe just having them on the right - the top ones are a bit in your face. In fact, maybe I will remove them because I don't really think it will pull in much dough anyway.

Another thing I could do is separate it into "search the forum", "search the articles", etc. but each search would have to be a different page (or box)

It would be real nice if it was one search and yet it let you know clearly which "section" the results were from........as it is now, you have to know a lot about URL's to tell (if it has "forum" in the url string, it is forum, etc.).....

But it does do a bang-up job - for instance, a search on Tarm gets you a lot of nice results.

Status
Not open for further replies.