CUSTOMERS DON'T LIKE THE BRECKWELLS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jtakeman said:
StoveMiser said:
Hope that harman has a big hopper to support 8 pounds per hour. At 4 pounds per hour my big e gobbles pellets faster than I prefer, but with todays pellet prices it sounds like a costly venture to dump a bag in every 5 hours. The room that the stove is in must get disturbingly hot...

Where'd you get 8 lbs per hour from a Harmon?

Last I knew they were at 5 on max! The Enviro Omega and Maxx are the only stoves I know that will consume 8 LBS/HR.

jay

http://www.harmanstoves.com/specifications.asp?id=1

Even our Accentra can burn more pellets than we want to buy. The dealer we bought from did not belittle other brands. He had a Harman XXV, and a Winslow in his home. He said both were good pellet stoves. He did say the XXV will run with less attention, and can put out much less heat on low burn, and more heat on high burn than the Winslow.

The difference between how much heat you get from different pellet stoves will depend mainly on how well the heat exchanger works, and how much fuel you burn. When I see claimed efficiency ratings of 80% or more, I am a little sceptical. Under ideal test conditions, maybe.

pkitfox said:
jtakeman said:
StoveMiser said:
Hope that harman has a big hopper to support 8 pounds per hour. At 4 pounds per hour my big e gobbles pellets faster than I prefer, but with todays pellet prices it sounds like a costly venture to dump a bag in every 5 hours. The room that the stove is in must get disturbingly hot...

Where'd you get 8 lbs per hour from a Harmon?

Last I knew they were at 5 on max! The Enviro Omega and Maxx are the only stoves I know that will consume 8 LBS/HR.

jay

http://www.harmanstoves.com/specifications.asp?id=1

Ahhh, I for got about the P68. You are absolutly right.

jay

jtakeman said:
stoveguy2esw said:
personaly i do not know the max consumption rates for these stoves , i was not aware that anyone had a stove which would run 8 lbs an hour. persoanlly im not sure i'd want to run through fuel that way , would get pretty expensive burning a bag every 5 hours

Think of it as horsepower in a car. Just because you got it don't mean you have to use it! But when its cold out I have room in this stove. My backup heat is wood and I don't want to use it unless i loose power!~

My Omega has not been higher than the mid setting. When the BigE was running was maxxed on 4(run a 2 hr cycle of 5 setting and let cool down for a few hrson 4)! I was affraid I was abusing the BigE running it on the max all the time. Used the same pellets in both stoves. The only difference is the stove. The Omega blows the BigE away!!!!(flamegrabber I need some backup here!)

I works for me and have plenty of stove to spare. What works for me may not work for you.

When your cold and your stove doesn't keep up what do you do???

Thats my story and I'm stinking with it!
jay

I will step in Yes A BTU is a BTU
but how you displace that BTU into the area makes a big difference.

I think All Breckwells have a Notice in the Owners Manual DO NOT RUN ON MAX FEED for extended Period of times.

They are the ONLY stove I know that has this. Why? My opinion is because the heat Exchange can not handle the Heat for long time.
The Omega has HUGE Rectangle Heat Exchangers at a upward angle to it can displace heat Naturally even if the blower is on low or fails.

I will only say this now that Im not in the Stove parts sales anymore and soon no longer the stove selling business after 19 years of fun I will be done soon and only doing service calls out of my home.

Breckwell has always been a second rate stove. They always cut corners in manufacturing.
I cant tell you how many stoves that I have had to weld up or beat the crap out of to stop the oil canning noise.
I have many scars on my hands and arms from the sharp edges on Breckwell stoves

hearthtools,

The efficiency of the heat exchanger is where (I think) the Omega has clobbered the BigE. Using roughly the same amount of pellets per hour I am getting more heat from the Omega than the BigE. If the BigE had the same amount of heat output as the Omega. I would have kept the stove. It ran good when I had it. If I had to heat less square footage it would have been fine.

To bad I had to buy 2 stoves before I got the one I really needed. Just don't want others to have to do the same as I did. Learn the hard way!

I just needed more heat. And I also got the multifuel feature to boot. A plus with these high pellet price times. I can get corn or whatever and still keep my house and family warm.

Thank you for your input. Your experience of 19 years speaks for itself. I am also glad your knowledge is here for us in these forums.

jay

jtakeman said:
hearthtools,

The efficiency of the heat exchanger is where (I think) the Omega has clobbered the BigE. Using roughly the same amount of pellets per hour I am getting more heat from the Omega than the BigE. If the BigE had the same amount of heat output as the Omega. I would have kept the stove. It ran good when I had it. If I had to heat less square footage it would have been fine.

To bad I had to buy 2 stoves before I got the one I really needed. Just don't want others to have to do the same as I did. Learn the hard way!

I just needed more heat. And I also got the multifuel feature to boot. A plus with these high pellet price times. I can get corn or whatever and still keep my house and family warm.

Thank you for your input. Your experience of 19 years speaks for itself. I am also glad your knowledge is here for us in these forums.

jay

Enviro lists the Omega's efficiency at 80%. Breckwell claims 81% for the big E. According to the manufacturers, they are basically the same. Do you believe either? Does any manufacturer of pellet stoves have proof to back their efficiency claims?

pkitfox said:
jtakeman said:
hearthtools,

jay

Enviro lists the Omega's efficiency at 80%. Breckwell claims 81% for the big E. According to the manufacturers, they are basically the same. Do you believe either? Does any manufacturer of pellet stoves have proof to back their efficiency claims?

Don't forget the perfect conditions! I would say from 1st hand experience, The Omega is closer to the claim than the bigE's claim! Don't have all the tools to do the testing so???
But It's 2 times the cost of the BigE. Kind like a Ford to a Lincoln.

jay

Just wanted to say that I've had a Big E for 3 years now in a 2000 SF house and it does fine. I hesitate to say this but....I have never taken any of the panels off and cleaned the squirrel cages. Nevertheless, it has run flawlessly through 8-9 tons. I know, I need to do a thorough cleaning, and try thr leaf blower trick.

heus said:
Just wanted to say that I've had a Big E for 3 years now in a 2000 SF house and it does fine. I hesitate to say this but....I have never taken any of the panels off and cleaned the squirrel cages. Nevertheless, it has run flawlessly through 8-9 tons. I know, I need to do a thorough cleaning, and try thr leaf blower trick.

You NEED to pull your blowers and clean if it has been 3 years.
I dont care how clean you think your house is you blower will look like this
dustbunnies.jpg

and like this
dustbunnies2.jpg

and if you have pets your blower will look like the one above in just one season.

Well put Rod, I just took my Breckwell P-24 apart last week and put a new igniter in it. I got the part from you all along with a new burn pot. My Breckwell is 11 years old, it heated me through the cold Minnesota nights, it now heats me through the cold NY nights. I clean it a few times a year and it doesn't fail. The only parts it has required are what I have done this year, I have absolutely no complaints. Prior to this I had a Whitfield. I felt that it had more features, but overall it needed to be repaired every other year. I got a deal at Home Depot on 2006 on a Englander for the out building, only $800 at the end of the season. It is a nice stove, but overall needs a lot of maintenance. The auger pushes pellets directly into the fire and builds up carbon then starts to squeal and hum. That in my opinion is a poor quality design stove, but you get what you pay for, and I didn't pay much.

Well, any stove needs maintenance. The less expensive units may just need more, and thats the trade-off. Its usually no problem until the end-user thinks that he/she doesnt have to do maintenance. Theres a place for any unit here.....price vs. quality vs. service....you can offer two of the 3 to the customer, but never all 3.

Still trying to figure out where someone came up with Harmans burning 8 pounds/ hour. I have a xxv and heated 1200 sq feet the last 4 years on 3 1/2 tons pellets. I just moved this year and with two Harmans I will end up using 6 tons to heat 2500 sq feet. If I used 8 pound/ hour thats enough to heat my entire neighborhood.

JIM P1 said:
Still trying to figure out where someone came up with Harmans burning 8 pounds/ hour. I have a xxv and heated 1200 sq feet the last 4 years on 3 1/2 tons pellets. I just moved this year and with two Harmans I will end up using 6 tons to heat 2500 sq feet. If I used 8 pound/ hour thats enough to heat my entire neighborhood.

Go to link

http://www.harmanstoves.com/brochure.asp?id=1

Download user manual, Look at page 29 Spec's

Weight 290 lbs.
Blower 135 cfm
Feed Rate approx. 1lb. to 8 lbs per hr
Hopper Capacity 76 lbs
Fuel W W W W Wood Pellets
Flue Size 3 inch
Outside Air Size 2 3/8" I.D. inch
Fuse Rating 6 amp

Jay

buildingmaint said:
Pellets have a predetermined BTU out put 7000-8000 btu's . Why do some people think that

some pellet stoves have a built in BTU accelerator built in them making their fuel a much higher

BTU output then the fuel is capable of ?

I disagree, two different stoves buring the same fuel are gunna have different outputs. Just because i certain pellet gets a certain amount of btu's doesn't mean you are gunna get that level of heat for your house. It's all about the heat exchange, you could have one stove with a very efficient heat exchange system with lots of surface area in contact with the flame/exhaust/heat and you would get great heat. If you had another stove (i know this doesn't exist but i am using an extreme to make a point) with just one small heat exchange tube it couldnt heat as much, if they were using the same amount of pellets. Different stoves heat differently.

I also have a Breckwell Big E in the basement. The temp would be 73 degrees downstairs and upstairs would be 68-69 degrees. This also would depend on the type of pellets being used. I swear by Hamer Hot Ones as these pellets would give me 2 to 3 degrees more than any other pellet I used including Lignetics. Although I was happy with the performance of the Big E, getting replacement parts is an issue! be prepared to shell out the big bucks.......from what I've learned, right now Breckwell is the only place you can get the replacement parts and at a high cost. I've been trying to find a convection blower motor and have been unsuccessfull. Nothing seems to cross reference to this motor, right now I have an electric motor repair shop trying to match it up. But I can get one from Breckwell for 198.00, this is the full assembly (motor, blade, housing) which I don't need. Curious to see if a replacement can be found......it won't surprize me if they can't find a replacement!

Tony K said:
I also have a Breckwell Big E in the basement. The temp would be 73 degrees downstairs and upstairs would be 68-69 degrees. This also would depend on the type of pellets being used. I swear by Hamer Hot Ones as these pellets would give me 2 to 3 degrees more than any other pellet I used including Lignetics. Although I was happy with the performance of the Big E, getting replacement parts is an issue! be prepared to shell out the big bucks.......from what I've learned, right now Breckwell is the only place you can get the replacement parts and at a high cost. I've been trying to find a convection blower motor and have been unsuccessfull. Nothing seems to cross reference to this motor, right now I have an electric motor repair shop trying to match it up. But I can get one from Breckwell for 198.00, this is the full assembly (motor, blade, housing) which I don't need. Curious to see if a replacement can be found......it won't surprize me if they can't find a replacement!

Try here - FYI I have never bought from them before

http://www.stove-parts.net/

I have to say that I love my breckwell P23, In the dead of winter the house is a Toasty 78' degrees on setting 3 with the damper set at 1 inch, saved a boatload of money with the purchase of this stove, No Oil Purchases, Screw OPEC, Spent just 20 gallons to heat up my Indirect Fired Water Heater Connected to my Burner per month, No fancy bells or whistles just pure heat, no matter what pellets I throw at it, Even The Greenway pellets that everybody hates on this forum my breckwell Eats them up with no AUGER Issues. Yes the blowers are not exactly whisper quiet but they are not annoying either,
IMHO.

treehackers,

Thanks but I have been to their site as well, just looking. they charge 178.00 vice breckwells 198.00. I did hear from electric motor repair shop today and they found a motor and are so sure it will work that if it doesn't they'll take it back. Now thats what I call taking care of your customers! oh and for just a little more than half of the prices I listed above.

Thanks

Hey Tony K, I believe a replacement convection blower for the Big E is a Dayton 1TDR6, available from lots of places for around $80, and has ball bearings.

I have had a Big E for one season now and it worked good, its just way too loud for me. You guys have me looking into the Omega now (as well as the Austroflamm) as a quieter replacement. Can someone (Hearthtools/Jtakeman) give more input on the noise output from an Omega? No one seems to have one around the the NW.

Mike

Mike, although the Dayton's housing matches up the motor is not compatable with the control board, it does not change fan speeds when going from 3 to 4 or 5. Operates on high speed only. I did have the opportunity to try this motor with no luck. Permanent magnet vs shaded pole. I am no motor expert but learning through the advice of this forum. Enjoy your day!

Mike in P-town said:
I have had a Big E for one season now and it worked good, its just way too loud for me. You guys have me looking into the Omega now (as well as the Austroflamm) as a quieter replacement. Can someone (Hearthtools/Jtakeman) give more input on the noise output from an Omega? No one seems to have one around the the NW.
Mike

Mike,

The blower on the Omega is very quiet compared to the BigE. I could hear my BigE upstairs and I still have to go down to check if the Omega is running. The only noise I hear from the Omega(while down stairs) is an occasional chirp from the agitator in the burn pot and the feed auger clunks once in a while. You will not have to blast the TV to drown out the noise!

You will also get many nice features with the omega. No more playing with the damper rod. Once its set on high feed it will vary when in the lower speeds. Plus the multi fuel option, Which I having way too much fun with! The heat out of the Omega is a big plus compared to the BigE. I have never had the stove higher than the 3 setting. I would have to max out the BigE to get even close to the same heat output! You will not go wrong if you upgraded to this stove.

I have recommended to flamegrabber as well. From what he has told me, He is also satisfied with the Omega.

Jay

The only problem I have with my omega is that I keep forgetting to fill the hopper every 3 days. LOL

Thanks Tony, I was wondering if PSC vs shaded pole did anything weird with the electronics. FWIW, I think my big E maxes out the blower at setting 4 anyway, and setting 5 is just a higher feed rate.

There is a cross ref to a shaded pole motor here too, wonder if its the same one that your shop found:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/34887/#370183

Can you guys with the Omega compare its noise to another "quiet" stove? My stove is in our great room with the main TV and I'm really anal about extra noises.

Mike

Mike in P-town said:
Thanks Tony, I was wondering if PSC vs shaded pole did anything weird with the electronics. FWIW, I think my big E maxes out the blower at setting 4 anyway, and setting 5 is just a higher feed rate.

There is a cross ref to a shaded pole motor here too, wonder if its the same one that your shop found:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/34887/#370183

Can you guys with the Omega compare its noise to another "quiet" stove? My stove is in our great room with the main TV and I'm really anal about extra noises.

Mike
The Omega has large Rectangle heat exchange tubes so you dont get the Air Flow noise like most other stoves that use small Round Tubes
Also the Blower is a dual Bower on one motor fan that is mounted on rubber mounts so you dont get vibrations through the body of the stove.
guts2.jpg

the Omega also uses the new Larger Combustion Blower that has a larger Blower housing and impeller so runs at a lower RPM this will make less noise also.

Attachments

• omega.gif
    omega.gif
    18.1 KB · Views: 239
Status
Not open for further replies.