Cut a load of wood today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zipper1081

Jan 12, 2009
Huntington,WV
I believe you do not need license plates if it is marked FOR FARM USE ONLY.

redhotz said:
I believe you do not need license plates if it is marked FOR FARM USE ONLY.

Wow, wish it were that easy in my state, I'd just mark all my cars "farm use" :)

We have a farm plate that you can get, you have to show $5000 annual income from farming to get it.

When gas went up I parked it & bought a Honda accord to drive to work. So I put FARM USE on the truck I do not have to pay taxes on it, I have to keep liability Insurance on it& buy a $2 sticker two put in the front window. I can only drive it 25 miles from my house. I the last 2 years I have put 400 miles on the truck.

Nice load zipper...looks like a real cord to me.

I sure hope buying a Honda Accord gas saver pays off. Couldn't see parking such a nice truck. My Chevy also has a 5.3 liter and I get 15mpg around town. Now all we need to see is the Honda with a load off wood. :) Great pics, thanks.

It payed off in the first 6 months. The key to this is the truck is payed off.

Keep it under 60 in Hazzard county with a load like that....good score.

WoodButcher

Have 2 to 3 inches of solid slippery ice covering the ground here, with 19 degree temps.
I spread sand on the driveways to improve walking and driving traction.

I did get out and trim some branches, but all the broken branches that need moving off trails are still frozen to the ground.

I like cutting this time of year (no bugs) but not in these conditions.

Your woods look like mine except I have pine, hemlock and cedar trees mixed in.

Hey zipper, that's a nice load of wood (I can almost smell that beautiful aroma now!), but where is all the snow? You sure you didn't take those pictures last fall?!

Hey, we just had someone a few days ago saying they would not burn sassafras too. But you and I both will burn it, huh.

Wish I couldget out and cut wood now. Got the cabin fever pretty bad this time of year. Way to much snow on the ground. Can't even find the wood or get to it unless you have a lot of heavy equipment. Nice haul!

With 18 inches or so of snow my cutting days have ended until the Spring . . . I'm a bit envious of you guys being able to keep working on the wood. On the otherhand I'm keeping "busy" with snowmobiling now. :)

We had that much until that big thaw early in the month. Now there isn't so much. Probably a foot at the deepest here, but it is all powder....on top of some ice.

It was cold out there cutting today but still nice because of lack of wind. Had some sunshine until mid afternoon and even had a rainbow around the sun. Seems you see that a lot in February and March.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey zipper, that's a nice load of wood (I can almost smell that beautiful aroma now!), but where is all the snow? You sure you didn't take those pictures last fall?!

Hey, we just had someone a few days ago saying they would not burn sassafras too. But you and I both will burn it, huh.

We got our first snow today 1 inch. They say we are going to get 3 or 4 tonight. We dont get a lot of snow were I am at. It has been cold the last week or two.

One good thing about burning sassafras is your neighbors dont groan about the smoke smell. LOL

ZIPPER,

what kind of logsplitter do you have?? details, please..

i am going to buy one & would like to get some info. from those that have them.

thanks

It is a mall one that I can tow behind My ATV or truck. It will split a 24 inch log.I bought it off a guy I work with all of the stickers are gone off it.I think it came from northern tool. I will try to post a pic. It is up at a neighbors house right now.

herman said:
ZIPPER,

what kind of logsplitter do you have?? details, please..

i am going to buy one & would like to get some info. from those that have them.

thanks

Herman, like lawn mowers and such, there isn't too many places building splitters. Therefore there is not a lot of difference in them. When we bought ours many years ago I had never used one and had no idea what they would do. We got ours at Quality Farm & Fleet, who was bought out by Tractor Supply. They sold the same things anyway and Northern Tool pretty much is the same.

We ended up with a 20 ton that has a 5 hp Briggs & Stratton engine. It has split many, many cords of wood and has been trouble free, but the engine is beginning to use a bit of oil now. Over all the years of splitting, naturally the toughest wood to split is elm, and we split a lot of it most years. I have so far found only one piece that would not split. Not bad over all the cords we've split. I don't remember for sure but believe it is a 24" stoke.

If I were to buy another one today the only thing different I'd like would be a Honda engine. But most any splitter 20 ton and up will do all you need done. You might even get by with one of the lighter splitters, depending on what wood you have.

As for the electric ones, they would be okay for very light useage and if you didn't have to split very much. If you split a lot, get a good hydraulic splitter.

One other word. Get one that will stand up so you don't have to lift the log before splitting it. Just think how many times you have to pick up a log for each cord of wood you split. Better just to roll it onto the plate to split. There is already enough work in getting the wood put up; why add to it?

savageactor7 said:

Just curious, would Zipper's truckload offload to equal a full cord of wood?

jackpine said:
savageactor7 said:

Just curious, would Zipper's truckload offload to equal a full cord of wood?
its at leat 3/4 cord

Zipper, you got me thinking. Me and my wife sometimes talk about moving to Kentucky or Tennessee. Don' burn as much wood as up here, and what would I give to be able to cut wood without snow in January? The pics remind me how I miss the bare ground and leaves.

ihookem said:
Zipper, you got me thinking. Me and my wife sometimes talk about moving to Kentucky or Tennessee. Don' burn as much wood as up here, and what would I give to be able to cut wood without snow in January? The pics remind me how I miss the bare ground and leaves.

Well I spoke to soon in the last week we have got snow & ice. Another big storm coming Monday. These two pics were taken in almost the same place. notice the dates in the bottom right.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/zipper1081/100_1952.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/zipper1081/1-30-09022.jpg

That's not much snow but you can tell it came down as a heavy wet one. We haven't had any wet snow for a long time. All of ours has been pretty fluffy, which makes moving it pretty easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.