Cut a small load yesterday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clemsonfor

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2011
Greenwood county, SC
This is some of the wood I delived to my friends house last year. I finally got around to cutting some of it. Oak and hickory. A bit drier than when fresh green but still 40%!! But I can't believe how much it lost in log form.

Broke my last maul yesterday! So now to get a new handle. Maybe a fiberglass replacement although I have broke 2 of those in the last few years!!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379267949590.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379267949590.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 107
Good stuff, besides for the maul. Ive found that hickory holds the moisture almost as much as oak. Good smoking for the ribs:)

Perhaps you need to refine your swing to keep from breaking?! ;)

Reactions: NortheastAl
The problem is that when the wood does not split and the maul hits more toward the center and the edge does not split the handle just before the head hits the edge of the round. Only way to keep it from hitting is that if yo can get a round to split by hitting it on the edge. Unless its perfect clean red oak it does not just jump apart.

For sure on those you have to hit the round close to the edge; closest to you. Naturally you are aware of what could happen there!

Reactions: NortheastAl
That's my problem I try to start center it splits but does not go and then the handle contacts the edge of the round.

I can the edge of the round no problem there but I just don't start at the edge.

If the log is big enough, I rarely would begin striking in the center. I'd strike it on the far edge, then closer to me and again closer. In effect, drawing a line across the top of the log. Seemed to usually get the job done a bit easier. Wish I could do more of that but the body objects now....

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Status
Not open for further replies.