Cut down my first tree. How's my technique?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol GO Blue! Colts thats is....

This isn't actually a bad tree felling video. The guy didn't have the equipment for his porch renovation, and so he used what was available to him. This is Appalachian ingenuity at its best.

Looked good to me. The tree got cut, then the tree fell. Now it's on the ground. Isn't that the way tree felling works? It's unfortunate the house was in the way.

Last time this was posted I showed it to my wife and told her - that is the perfect wife - she is holding the camera, not the saw, and says "we just dropped a tree on our house". What a woman!

Looks perfect! Don't change a thing. :lol:

I really question if that wasn't done on purpose, it looks like the tree was leaning pretty bad in that direction to start with.

i love that people think that a cut can totally defy the laws of physics. just cutting the notch on the side so that it falls that way just don't work if it's not leaning that way.

How long did it take you to get into your truck and get the hell out of there?

They didn't get your tag # I hope!

Wow! that is why you hire a pro right there. My mother in-law had a similiar situation and paid $400 to have a guy come in with a bucket truck. He went up in the bucket and cut small portions while he had two guys on the ground throwing the smaller stuff into the chipper and cutting the bigger pieces to stove length. I've got the wood split and stacked for next winter.

albertj03 said:
Wow! that is why you hire a pro right there. My mother in-law had a similiar situation and paid $400 to have a guy come in with a bucket truck. He went up in the bucket and cut small portions while he had two guys on the ground throwing the smaller stuff into the chipper and cutting the bigger pieces to stove length. I've got the wood split and stacked for next winter.
Some people will stop at nothing to save a buck. I'd pay whatever is reasonable to NOT have a huge hole in my house, particularly in the wintertime!

Wasn't my fault. They shouldn't have built the house that close.

Go Blue! said:
Cut down my first tree. How’s my technique?
So, how'd I do?
I think your technique STINKS!
Especially if you weren't aiming for the house.
If you were aiming for the house you didn't do a very good job of that either.
At least you won't have far to pack the fire wood to the stove.

Alot of people like to stack wood on the porch. You took a shortcut.

No problem I'm sure his home owners insurance will be happy to cover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.