Cut down your dead trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hass

Minister of Fire
Mar 20, 2011
Alabama, NY
There were two pines near my house I wanted to cut down this year... but I didn't do one because I wanted a 2nd person with me to put a rope on it to make sure it doesn't fall on my house. Well, it got late in the season and I was caught up working on my house... so it never got cut down. I didn't think anything of it, was pretty solid and no leaves so it can't catch the wind very much.

Well, some time while my fiance and I were at work she came down. Right on the propane tank, and a couple of feet from where we sleep at night. The room is the part of the house with the low pitch, it's actually my laundry room but it's a temporary bed room. the bed is right up against the outside wall.

Look where the tree landed in the last pic... Right in between the regulator/valve area and the vial. Got pretty lucky if I say so myself...
I went out to grab some wood when I got home today and saw a tree blocking my path... I was like what is this...? Then I started to think no... no, this tree didn't really fall? Soon after that I realized how lucky we were... Notice teh caution tape on it... I marked the trees I wanted down there were about 6 of them total. This one didn't come down, until now.

WP_000360.jpg

WP_000361.jpg

WP_000362.jpg

Wow, you got lucky bro, but I have to say, that tree should have been taken down long ago.

Pat53 said:
Wow, you got lucky bro, but I have to say, that tree should have been taken down long ago.

It should have... My first year owning this house.
The other tree they actually tried to cut it down with what looked like a hack saw.
They got about half way through it, then tried somewhere else on the tree, then another place. I think I may have a picture of it even...
A lot of the trees here on the property look like they were hacked in to, probably when the previous home owners needed firewood :p

Glad to see no major damage for you. And no one hurt. Now you have some free fire wood. Get it blocked, c/s/s and burn it next year. Don't have to move it very far.

Hass said:
There were two pines near my house I wanted to cut down this year... but I didn't do one because I wanted a 2nd person with me to put a rope on it to make sure it doesn't fall on my house. Well, it got late in the season and I was caught up working on my house... so it never got cut down. I didn't think anything of it, was pretty solid and no leaves so it can't catch the wind very much.

Well, some time while my fiance and I were at work she came down. Right on the propane tank, and a couple of feet from where we sleep at night. The room is the part of the house with the low pitch, it's actually my laundry room but it's a temporary bed room. the bed is right up against the outside wall.

Look where the tree landed in the last pic... Right in between the regulator/valve area and the vial. Got pretty lucky if I say so myself...
I went out to grab some wood when I got home today and saw a tree blocking my path... I was like what is this...? Then I started to think no... no, this tree didn't really fall? Soon after that I realized how lucky we were... Notice teh caution tape on it... I marked the trees I wanted down there were about 6 of them total. This one didn't come down, until now.

Nice that it missed the house Hass. Propane tank looks like it took the hit okay. Lucky.

On the other hand, our pine trees usually don't have leaves either. :)

Ja, that was a close call. I always work alone with nobody to pull a rope so I use a comealong. If there is nothing to tie the comealong to, I drive in a helical guy anchor.

If a tree is a hazard, I take it down sooner than later but if it's not, I leave it standing for the woodpeckers at least until the wife nags me to cut it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.