Cut or Stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate stacking, so I would choice the saw!:cool:

Reactions: ScotO
I hate stacking, so I would choice the saw!:cool:
I think that the saw will be the choice, that hill the Beech is on faces the west so it's best I get it off before it gets hot out.

zap

Buck em zap...sharpen those chains dammit... smiley-1.jpg

The chains will be done tonight after work. How is your supply of firewood doing for this coming heating season?
zap

Doing good zap....done....I got a few free scores for the following year and working a few others...Diggin this "scrounging" thingy....;);lol

Doing good zap....done....I got a few free scores for the following year and working a few others...Diggin this "scrounging" thingy....;);lol
It's an art, that's for sure.
zap

I like to stack what I have split before I buck more. If I cut, the split stuff just lays on the ground and sucks up moisture. It don't start drying untill it's off the ground IMO. I do like cutting more, but try to make myself stack after spliting.

I must be weird because I like stacking.. Maybe it's the solitude or the quiet that a chainsaw destroys.. I don't mind a little wood to do on my own but it's so much easier to pay the money and get it c\s\d.. My wood is all set so I can move onto other things..

Ray

Stacking is just one of those jobs that has to be done and I prefer to do the stacking right after the wood is split. I also hate it when it has rained a lot and the wood is just thrown into a pile. When you start stacking that, the outside tends to be dry but under that the wood is wet. I do not like stacking wet wood.

The thing I learned is Beech once it's down will go bad before Cherry, I'll have the Beech off the hill this weekend along with the Cherry stacked by Wednesday.
zap

You are right there zap. Cherry will do much better than beech once it is downed.

I must be weird because I like stacking.. Maybe it's the solitude or the quiet that a chainsaw destroys.. I don't mind a little wood to do on my own but it's so much easier to pay the money and get it c\s\d.. My wood is all set so I can move onto other things..

Ray

I'm right there with you Ray . . . next to splitting, stacking is my favorite part about wood. I'm not sure if it's the quietness or simply seeing the pile of wood amass in front of me and being able to tell exactly how much wood I have processed.

I don't mind stacking, especially when I know I got another tree to do and I know I'm gonna need the room for processing (don't have a ton of extra space at the house). I know I do like to see a nice neat stack versus an unorganized pile of wood IMHO....

Reactions: Thistle
I'm right there with you Ray . . . next to splitting, stacking is my favorite part about wood. I'm not sure if it's the quietness or simply seeing the pile of wood amass in front of me and being able to tell exactly how much wood I have processed.
I enjoyed the splitting until I got a bad case of tenonitis in my elbows.. The electric splitter works well on oak and is quiet.. :)

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.