Cut some more Box Elder today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Vomit

Minister of Fire
Jul 12, 2011
eastern PA
The color in this batch is pretty cool. I never get tired of seeing the wild patterns in this stuff. District 2-20120721-00004.jpg

Spalted? Had some spalted hickory cabinets built, very nice (rustic).

very nice!

thanks for the picture

Beautiful stuff for sure. I make the inside back of wall cabinets with box elder. If you keep it out of the light it will keep it's color for years.

That's cool looking wood, BV! That's one wood I have yet to cut in my many years of cutting. Never ran into it yet.

Beautiful stuff.Woodturners,carvers/sculptors will pay good money for blocks/slabs with lots of that pink color.I got a few small pieces from an old snag from neighbors woods next to parents acreage 20+ yrs ago.Was fun,naturally I waited until January with 15"+ snow on the ground,had to load saw,gas/oil cans on 7ft wooden toboggan & pull that across the 7 acre corn/soybean field to get to the tree on other side.Too much snow for even old Dodge 4WD Power Wagon with lockout hubs.

I did lots of dumb things like that when I was younger & had more energy,didnt care about how much physical labor was involved either.You usually get smarter as you age & your body wears out....;)

I would cut a 2 inch round off the end and put some poly on it and just hang it on the wall, never seen a pattern like that.

I would cut a 2 inch round off the end and put some poly on it and just hang it on the wall, never seen a pattern like that.

Thats actually an awesome idea if its not too late, that would be really cool all shined up as a decorative piece!

Those are some nice rounds ! I really like cutting box elder...it cuts easy, is free, and has those cool colors and designs :)

The color in this batch is pretty cool. I never get tired of seeing the wild patterns in this stuff.

My wife wants a slab of that!!! Sometimes it is worth cutting that stuff just to see what patterns you get. Wood is not that bad for burning either.

I burned it all year last year. The farmers in my area want it all gone and let me cut as much as I humanly can for free :)

I recently snagged a partial PU load of it for fun. After seeing the BTUs are similar to the maple and pine I like for the shoulder seasons, wished I'd grabbed a little more. Our weather has been "extremely" dry/hot for weeks and weeks. I split it up fairly small and things are drying down light enough to make balsa wood airplanes from. I'll split and test it in late September before it's allowed in the stove.

Great picture.
1st time I've seen something like that. Thanks.
Would make some awesome looking bowls on a wood lathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.