Cut some Red and white oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
Cut and stacked some of both a little while ago. Will make for some good fuel in a couple years. Gotta love the way red oak pop opens with ease
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that Red Oak splits nice when it's wet. Some others with different wood structure seem really easy when dry. I brought up some real dry wood yesterday to the staging area by the house, in prep for the snow/cold snap. Some was Dogwood and Black Cherry. I re-split some big ones; Both just popped right apart. If you look at the end of the wood, you can't see any growth rings so I think that type of wood structure splits easier when dry.
I just stumbled onto this. It would be an undertaking to read it all the way through but I saw some interesting tidbits while skimming that might pertain to wood drying, etc. http://www.ce.berkeley.edu/~paulmont/CE60New/wood.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebelduckman
Looks real nice. I've aquired a good bit of red and white oak in the last year. Red does usually split fairly easy but now white sometimes is a bit meaner. Yea, about 3 years season time would be good. Enjoy!!

Good looking wood pile. I love to get my hands on oak when I can. Mostly I burn black walnut and maple, but I did get one truckload of red oak this year.

Red does usually split fairly easy but now white sometimes is a bit meaner.
Yep, White can be stringy, and the longer you let it sit, the worse it gets. :oops:
I wish I got more oak, but for now ash is what I will be cutting.
I've got Red Oak lying all over the place out there; I better get it picked up because the borer has got us surrounded and it looks like I'll be up to my arse in White Ash soon.

Reactions: NewHarmanOwner
I was able to get my hands on some red oak this summer. A large tree my neighbors had removed he gave me the whole trunk, three twenty five foot lengths by over four foot diameter. I was surprised he didn't want to take it to the mill but for its size I was amazed how easy the rounds split once cut. Just one or two wedges plus the Wilton bash maul split them pretty easy. You would get that nice pop when you found that sweet spot. Can't wait for two to three years to burn it should be some great heat.

Reactions: jeffesonm
Three sticks, twenty-five feet long and four foot diameter! Merry Christmas!! Damn what a stash of great firewood.
You are a man among men to split it by hand. The biggest oak I ever split was 3 foot diameter, split it with my Monster Maul. I was surprised at how easily it split.
Damn I would like to run across a firewood deal like that.

Reactions: heavy hammer
I'm burning some three year old red oak right now. Gooood stuff!

ItIs the biggest stuff I have been able to get my hands on. Loading by hand into the pickup was the hardest. Plus the day I did it was about 92 degrees. I'm a big fan of the heat but by the end of the day I was tired. Splitting was a lot easier than I thought it would be. It is now sitting waiting for a few years to go by till I can burn it. My neighbor used to burn wood so he felt it should go to someone who would appreciate it he said, he would not take any money for the tree guys costs and didn't want to deal with it going to the mill. He said I could take my time but I didn't want it sitting in his driveway for a week as I picked at it. So I started that Sunday morning, and didn't stop till it was all gone. It was a lot more wood than I thought, but that is not a bad thing.

Nice looking stacks.I have just started stacking red oak and honey locust that i cut this past fall.Red oak splits nice and the honey locust splits good also.Planning on this wood to be ready to burn 2020-2021 winter.

Nice looking stacks.I have just started stacking red oak and honey locust that i cut this past fall.Red oak splits nice and the honey locust splits good also.Planning on this wood to be ready to burn 2020-2021 winter.
Where are you stacking and storing it? There is no reason you should have to wait 4-5 years for it to be below 20% moisture.

Where are you stacking and storing it? There is no reason you should have to wait 4-5 years for it to be below 20% moisture.
Yes, I have been reading this forum for the past few months. Former urbanite now out in the woods! I feel I did finally get the hang of lighting fires and maintaining them. We got some red and white oak about a month ago but it's just about 7 months old. However with a good starter fire, it burns great. I've read comments saying for some reason it seasons faster in the South and I'm inclined to think that's true.

Yes, I have been reading this forum for the past few months. Former urbanite now out in the woods! I feel I did finally get the hang of lighting fires and maintaining them. We got some red and white oak about a month ago but it's just about 7 months old. However with a good starter fire, it burns great. I've read comments saying for some reason it seasons faster in the South and I'm inclined to think that's true.
Welcome to the forum.
If you need a "starter fire" your wood is pretty darned wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.