Cut the small tree?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This dead tree is hung up on a small maple so I think if I cut the small maple it will come down, any thoughts?

zap

Attachments

• 100_1173.jpg
    100_1173.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 354
  • 100_1174.jpg
    100_1174.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 349
  • 100_1175-1.jpg
    100_1175-1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 336
That looks a little scary zap. Can't you take your winch and pull it sideways? It looks like it would fall the right way if you cut the maple, but being that close to that much weight scares me. I have used a come-along on some like that. Now I have the Bobcat and I could just give it a push. Another option is cutting the big boy a couple of times from the bottom. Sometimes that is enough to get it moving. I assume you have tried the winch already since you have done that before.

GolfandWoodNut said:
That looks a little scary zap. Can't you take your winch and pull it sideways? It looks like it would fall the right way if you cut the maple, but being that close to that much weight scares me. I have used a come-along on some like that. Now I have the Bobcat and I could just give it a push. Another option is cutting the big boy a couple of times from the bottom. Sometimes that is enough to get it moving. I assume you have tried the winch already since you have done that before.

I think I would use my pole saw with a long reach.

zap

Yep, be careful. I would try every "remote" option. Possibly even dropping another tree on the whole mess bringing all 3 down. I dont think cutting on the tree that the dead one is resting on sounds too good

Is your winch strong enough to pull the butt end around?

Its hard for me to see clearly. If I was going to cut the Maple I would not notch it. I would do a slow rip cut than get back when it starts to go. I don't like to work under hung trees so I would do back cuts on the dead tree. That's my eye from a distance hope it helps some

wood spliter said:
Its hard for me to see clearly. If I was going to cut the Maple I would not notch it. I would do a slow rip cut than get back when it starts to go. I don't like to work under hung trees so I would do back cuts on the dead tree. That's my eye from a distance hope it helps some

I think I'll put a tree saver (tow strap) around the dead tree then hook it to the winch and roll it off.

zap

wood spliter said:
That even sounds safer Zap!

It's close to the road so I'll have plenty of room to run the rhino.

zap

Good call Zap. Even better would be a tree saver+20' chain+ Rhino, and drive off in the opposite direction. Yank out the bottom a few feet, and it should go. Stay safe with that one.

Beetle-Kill said:
Good call Zap. Even better would be a tree saver+20' chain+ Rhino, and drive off in the opposite direction. Yank out the bottom a few feet, and it should go. Stay safe with that one.

Chain will be added, weather permitting it will come down Wednesday with pictures of course.

zap

good decision.

smokinjay said:

We will find out Wednesday, I might take the old green truck then I might pull it home.

zap

As long as its not a threat I'd go on to the next tree.

savageactor7 said:
As long as its not a threat I'd go on to the next tree.

The road I use for the rhino & truck runs underneath the top of the dead tree so it has to come down.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

We will find out Wednesday, I might take the old green truck then I might pull it home.

zap

I like that style. I have pulled some pretty big trunks for milling.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

I like that style. I have pulled some pretty big trunks for milling.

The wife wants it down so we will go back tonight and take it down then buck it up, I'm going to test it with the moisture meter any guesses on what it will read?

zap

I will start the bidding at 18 percent top half and 24 on the butt.

Zap, even with a pole saw I rarely ever cut a tree that another was hung up in. I say rarely, because I have done it but it is a very rare case indeed. On that size tree I probably would not even consider it. I do like the truck idea and just bring it on home. Good luck with this one.

On numerous occasions I've had to cut the support tree to get the widowmaker leaner down. I've never enjoyed it in the least and I'd say strapping it nad giving the butt end a good yank is the best approach. Sucker can bounce when the energy from impact reaches the butt end though, so make sure you've got a good long leader for slack.

i would definitely be very nervous cutting the smaller tree that the dead one is leaning on, i would try another way, preferably using a rope and trying to winch it or use a come-along to get it moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.