Cut through a nail, file or bring to shop?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dune

Minister of Fire
?

Depends on how bad. I've hand filed them back to life before, but it takes some time. Depending on the shop, they may grind away half your cutters trying to "fix" it when that isn't really necessary.

I made at least one more cut before seeing the nail. I started filing this morning, found a pretty damaged tooth, then remembered the nail. I guess for six bucks I will let them grind it.

Thanks for answering.

Reactions: smokinj
I made at least one more cut before seeing the nail. I started filing this morning, found a pretty damaged tooth, then remembered the nail. I guess for six bucks I will let them grind it.

Thanks for answering.

I wouldn't get too upset about one damaged cutter, unless it is bent do the side.

Dune - make the call on what it looks like. If the cutters are gonna need substantial removal of metal to get them back in shape - have it ground. If it looks like a few swipes of a file will clean it up - you can go that route. I simply will not spend an hour with a hand file to bring a chain back. (fact is, I rarely hand file anymore since I purchased a grinder).

Dune - make the call on what it looks like. If the cutters are gonna need substantial removal of metal to get them back in shape - have it ground. If it looks like a few swipes of a file will clean it up - you can go that route. I simply will not spend an hour with a hand file to bring a chain back. (fact is, I rarely hand file anymore since I purchased a grinder).

That's just it Jags, I don't much enjoy hand filling the chain anyhow, nevermind repairing nail damage.

That's just it Jags, I don't much enjoy hand filling the chain anyhow, nevermind repairing nail damage.
Heck, it sounds like you already have the solution;) Grinder it is.

I never let a shop touch my chains. They just hog off material turning your chain teeth blue. All the teeth don't need to match in file wear. Just clean up as necessary and go on. I've seen plenty of ruint chains come out of saw shops. To many times its the new kid in the back taking 2/3s the life out of a chain in one pass just so he can getter done.

Reactions: ScotO and Thistle
I never let a shop touch my chains. They just hog off material turning your chain teeth blue. All the teeth don't need to match in file wear. Just clean up as necessary and go on. I've seen plenty of ruint chains come out of saw shops. To many times its the new kid in the back taking 2/3s the life out of a chain in one pass just so he can getter done.

The only time I've took my chains to the shop is when I needed one reground to 10 degrees for milling.Keep a couple old beaters hanging on wall of shed to use on yardbirds,fencerow or salvaged stuff.

Reactions: ScotO
I know a guy who makes and sells race chains. If you have ever seen one they are filled back to where just a small triangle of tooth is left. Its all done by hand so the steel isn't tempered. It all boils down to the time someone wants to spend with a file.

Try filing it, you can tell by the chips if it's right. Don't worry about one or two teeth, you'll never miss them.

Personally I would take it to a shop. I take my chains to the shop that's within a mile of my house and they always come back sharper than when they were new.

I touch up the chain between tanks of fuel, lunch break etc. Once it's really dull or I've done something stupid to it I let the shop handle it.

It takes me forever to get my chains right but I know with practice, I get a bit better every time and my chain seems sharper. I see bigger chips as opposed to dust. I think sharpening is a bit of a lost art.

chuck

If you only damaged one tooth and it isn't bent, I'd ignore it and carry on as usual. One cutter not doing its job is not going to be noticed. Then as you file the rest of the chain normally, you'll gradually bring that cutter back into service.

As others have said, grinding half of what's left on the other teeth to rescue one cutter doesn't make sense.

Reactions: ScotO
If you only damaged one tooth and it isn't bent, I'd ignore it and carry on as usual. One cutter not doing its job is not going to be noticed. Then as you file the rest of the chain normally, you'll gradually bring that cutter back into service.

As others have said, grinding half of what's left on the other teeth to rescue one cutter doesn't make sense.

Maybe so, but I am incredibly lazy.
As it is, I am amazed that;
1. I cut wood at all.
2. I file the chain after every tank full.
3. I am years ahead on wood.

To think that I am going to spend 1/2 an hour or more furiously filing a 16 dollar chain which has already produced thousands of dollars worth of firewood is out of the question.

Half hour to file a chain? All you need to do is a few strokes when you fuel up to keep the edge. Just keep the original angles, easier when you still have them.

Half hour to file a chain? All you need to do is a few strokes when you fuel up to keep the edge. Just keep the original angles, easier when you still have them.

I cut through a nail, the long way. At least a half an hour.

I actually meant to just file as you normally would. Don't even try to make the damaged cutter "perfect". Eventually you'll get it matched with the rest of the chain. Just not all in one session. No extra effort/expense required! ;)

Reactions: Thistle
Get a Dremel tool, Oregon stone, and clamp the bar in a vise. Take your time and work all the cutters on one side, then work the cutters on the other side. DON'T let the teeth get hot! Don't forget to file or grind the rakers (just enough to let the cutter go slightly above them) and don't grind till the teeth get hot. In no time you'll be sharpening chains like a pro, they will cut better than you can ever imagine.

Chain is nicely resharpened and he ground the rakers too. $7.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.