cut wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

metalfingers

Jan 15, 2017
Central IL
I thought I'd get flamed for posting this but I read in another thread you guys like to ID wood. I hope it's true cause I'm a newb and falling fast for this stuff. Have no idea what most trees are, but I'll start with this one. Drug it up from my ravine, cut & split it. Looking to burn it next winter but I'd love to know what it is. Had no leaves, just the main trunk lying there, about 26" diameter, in central IL

IMAG3782.jpg
IMAG3783.jpg
IMAG3797.jpg
IMAG3798.jpg
IMAG3799.jpg
IMAG3800.jpg
IMAG3801.jpg

I'm leaning towards Silver Maple but am not to sure.

Looks like maple to me as well. More like red or silver.

Looks like hard Maple..

Why rule out pine? Definitely worth burning.

Why rule out pine? Definitely worth burning.
I have to burn pine. That's all we have around here. Works fine in an older stove, just now today ordering a Madison and a Tranquility to replace a pellet stove and a propane stove, and I'm pretty nervous about it. But you can't cook on a pellet stove, and it costs a thousand bucks to refill the propane. And the electric goes out here in the winter A LOT.

The folks here love a good wood ID challenge, and many can do it without leaves. Bark is good, and showing the butt end of a cut log (as you did) helps, too. For future reference, if there are any twigs with buds and/or leaf scars, those can be the gold standard for nailing down the ID for a particular species.

Also, don't forget your nose! Everyone knows what a pine smells like. If you ever smell a freshly cut oak, it will smell like oak boards at your local lumber supplier.