Cut your Cottonwood now rather than later.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Last year at this time I got a nice supply of soft woods. Pine, Basswood and some Cottonwood. I decided just to cut them into rounds, some big and some small, and let them sit out for one year and split them then. The other day I started splitting. The Pine and Basswood split super easy. I thought the Cottonwood would be the same. WRONG..Just as difficult as the first day I got it. The only beneficial grace was the bark peeled off like a banana skin. The Cottonwood is coming in at 30% moisture while the Pine and Basswood are in the teens. Lesson learned with Cottonwood. Split now rather that later

I was expecting the thread content to instruct me to cut cottonwood while it's a sapling. :) I've never burned it, but I've read plenty of warnings. Those things get so insanely big around here I can't imagine the price of bringing down one of those monsters.

Yep, I've found this to be true as well. It's not bad to split when it's fresh cut,, but let it sit and it turns into a rock

Status
Not open for further replies.