Cuttin a Big Ol white oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokinPiney

Feeling the Heat
Nov 25, 2008
In the Pines, NJ
This afternoon me, my dad and his buddy started cuttin down a huge white oak on the corner of our friends sod farm. Only got 6 limbs off and bucked up before dark but even the limbs are like small trees. Sorry the pics are from my cell but the second give's you a perspective of how big the tree really is.

Wood%20057.jpg

Wood%20058.jpg

Looks like a 2 cord tree, is that you in the tree? Not in my life time. :roll:

Shipper

It's a big tree, is it dead and that is why you are cutting it down.

zap

Man I wish I could find some virgin trees like that. We have some good sized trees, but nothing that size.

Yea, I would definetly put it on the ground first. The experts get above the branches, and are roped. That looks real dangerous. Also watch out for those widow makers, dead branches can fall from above.

Zap, yea it's been standing dead for a few yrs now.

And that's my dads buddy in the tree, He's roped off and cutting branches BELOW him. I cut the first lower branches then he geared up and started workin on the rest. We've all been doing tree work for many yrs combined so we take the necessary precautions.

We can't just drop the tree because it on the edge of a sod field. It would cause too much damage to the grass so we're just takin it limb by limb.

I gotcha. Better you guys than me. I love cutting them up, but I do not like a saw when I am up on a ladder, etc.

That's the big difference in trees that grow out in the open vs trees in a woodlot. Notice all those limbs! Of course, notice all that great firewood too!

Let us know how much wood you get out of that thing.

Nice work. I have a ton of respect for people that can work up a tree like that. It's a skill that most don't possess. I'm also fond of a load of white oak in the stove.

Backwoods Savage said:
That's the big difference in trees that grow out in the open vs trees in a woodlot. Notice all those limbs! Of course, notice all that great firewood too!

Let us know how much wood you get out of that thing.

. . . and trees that grow on the side of fields . . . always lots and lots of branches . . . the nice thing is you rarely get one hung up . . . the flip side is having to haul all the branches back into the woods and out of the field.

That's gonna be a ton of wood! Well actually more like 10 tons! Looks like there are gonna be some nearly unsplittable monster size rounds where the main trunk starts to branch out. Post more pics as the work continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.