Cutting a hole in a brick wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did start my own thread in the Gas Stove subforum. Nothing but crickets on this forum it seems. So, anyhow, it's a natural gas stove. I just figured what's the difference between putting a pipe through a wall vs. putting a pipe through bricks. I realize cutting a hole in the bricks is a whole another issue, but I have a company to do that for $300.

I'm just wondering if it will work or there would be some unforeseen issue such as the pipe coming out the back of the stove being a couple feet longer going out through the brick to the outside.

I did start my own thread in the Gas Stove subforum. Nothing but crickets on this forum it seems. So, anyhow, it's a natural gas stove. I just figured what's the difference between putting a pipe through a wall vs. putting a pipe through bricks. I realize cutting a hole in the bricks is a whole another issue, but I have a company to do that for $300.

I'm just wondering if it will work or there would be some unforeseen issue such as the pipe coming out the back of the stove being a couple feet longer going out through the brick to the outside.
Oh, I misread. Thought you were talking about a wood stove. Idk what the limit would be on the horizontal run...

my oil boiler pipe goes up then out thru a concrete wall then up.
I'd have to go measure but i think the hole was 11 inches. Core bit. Found out a half inch in the concrete wall was filled with granite stones. It takes a long time to drill thru granite. I kept the round plug as a conversation piece and to raise a plant pot.

iiirc, the pipe has to have 1/4" rise per 10 feet and you have to have at least as much vertical pipe as horizontal. The biggest problem can be the number of elbows
the stove sometimes comes with design tables / guides for exhaust.
is there an install instructions to reference ?

Status
Not open for further replies.