Cutting Advice- Snapped Tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To add to Scotty's post, when he is talking about the undercut, he is referring to when the trunk is off the ground. As you start cutting at the very top, the tree is touching the ground so there is pressure so you will do most of your cutting as undercut. As you do this, the tree will continue to fall. How far this will happen depends upon how well it is still fastened at the break.

Only takes one pinch to learn to cut from the bottom. A bit more tiring, but valuable technique.

Going back to the picture I posted....I'm sure it's soft maple.... thinking boxelder. Thoughts from the members here?

Only takes one pinch to learn to cut from the bottom. A bit more tiring, but valuable technique.

Going back to the picture I posted....I'm sure it's soft maple.... thinking boxelder. Thoughts from the members here?
a split or two would tell us a lot more.....
red streaks in the splits would indicate box elder for sure....

*edit* didn't see your pics on the earlier post til after I wrote this. I don't think you have box elder. I'm thinking silver maple......

I'll get some pictures tomorrow. My brother just texted yet another lame excuse for being able to show up so I'll likely just split what I can and load up. The pictures in the previous post aren't the same tree...though any soft maple wouldn't be a surprise. If you look in the distance, you can see 2 trees on the ground, but not enough to give any real indication. I do know that maple heartwood is much larger/more unusual in moist areas with little sunlight....seems to fit the bill for this location. Regardless, I welcome any soft maple so I can give my norway and sugar maple stacks a bit longer to season.

Reactions: ScotO
I Like the staggered under cut for more control

Here is a better picture of the original photo. You can see where the guy's neighbor attempted cut (and poorly) until the wood splintered and a few end shots of the wood. Wood smells very sweet. Actually haven't noticed that smell before while splitting. Really enjoyed it on the ride home (packed the 4Runner full). Owner insists its white oak. Leaves in the general area were mostly red and white oak with sparse maple in the immediate area. That was about it other than pine needles. I've never cut white oak before, so I don't know.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    477.9 KB · Views: 120
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 114
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 111
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 104
Tis okay. Just let him think it is white oak.

Meh...he doesn't care what it is and probably only reporting what his bad chainsaw wielding neighbor told him. He's giving me two face cords of 4 year seasoned hardwood as well. He was a wood burner then got married. No longer has a stove at the order of his wife. He likes me and how I've approached this scrounge so it's all mine..took the CL add down. I've got as long as I need to get what I want ( easily 6-7 cords on the ground back in his woods). Trying to find someone to divide the work up with so it's worth while to rent a truck and splitter to haul it all (though I don't think quartering by hand is out the question as I can do that faster than with hydraulics). Too much effort for where it's at to just try and pack my 4runner full each visit, though the entire challenge is appealing. Between this and the 10 or so trees I need down on my property, I could be be done for many years to come base on my burn rate. My wife is encouraging an all in effort on this one so I can get more renovation work done on the house this summer.

I assume everyone agrees its of soft maple variety?

Status
Not open for further replies.