Cutting Again Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
But first I had to split some that I didn't get time to finish yesterday. This tree was a real son of a gun to split. Twisted grain. Kind of hot, not a cloud in the sky, no breeze. It's odd, after all the decades of doing this I would think that every year I get stronger and it would get easier. Funny though, it isn't working that way! Every year it seems to get a little bit harder to catch my breath. Hmmm. I feel like 100 years old on days like these. Come to think of it, I guess I'm not that far off!
IMG_8418%20(1280x718).jpg

Then I moved on to the next tree. I was only going to cut it up (to try out my new Stihl MS 290), I wasn't going to work it over with the maul, but I tried splitting one of the rounds and it was splitting normally, unlike the last tree. So, I finished it up.
IMG_8429%20(718x1280).jpg

And this was the last load of the day. Quite often the last load looks like this because I don't want to make any more trips than I have to!
IMG_8430%20(1280x718).jpg

Great job quads, how did your new stihl run and did you like it? We have a storm coming in with winds up to 70 mph so I might have to cut our way out, down solars (syracuse) way I think they have some damage with trees and power lines down. I'm still amazed that you get that much wood on the trailer.

zap

Nicely done. Sure looks like a nice load.

That saw has some POP to it!

zapny said:
Great job quads, how did your new stihl run and did you like it? We have a storm coming in with winds up to 70 mph so I might have to cut our way out, down solars (syracuse) way I think they have some damage with trees and power lines down. I'm still amazed that you get that much wood on the trailer.

zap
This is storm damage from last week that I'm cleaning up. I had 50mph wind on my meter that night, but some places were closer to 70mph.

Here is my first impression of the new saw: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/57161/

I could have gotten a few more on the trailer, I had about a foot of straps left. ;-)

Like you quads, I'm also feeling it a bit more than I used to. I get tired faster and it takes 3 times as long of breaks than it used to. But I'll keep on doing what I can when I can. I'm even thinking about a new atv; one that has independent suspension. My neighbor got one and I could hardly believe how much better the ride was. I'm thinking...

Backwoods Savage said:
Like you quads, I'm also feeling it a bit more than I used to. I get tired faster and it takes 3 times as long of breaks than it used to. But I'll keep on doing what I can when I can. I'm even thinking about a new atv; one that has independent suspension. My neighbor got one and I could hardly believe how much better the ride was. I'm thinking...
We should be getting stronger! That's the way I want it to work. Darn.

The last two ATVs I bought were both independent (Sportsman and now Hawkeye). It is really nice. I still use the old Trailboss (non independent) everyday on the farm, but the ride is no comparison to the independent suspension.

That heat may also be what is slowing you down a little Quads, don't give in to getting older. I like that the kids can't keep up with my splitting yet, but I get alot more practice. I could never get that much wood on a trailer, other that my 6 X 8 trailer I use on the driveway. If I would try to pull that much up the hills around here it would end up scattered. I ended up bending the tongue on my trailer and it is now useless. I have been just strapping alot to the front and back of my ATV and making more trips. Enjoy the 290, for the most part I like my 390, I had one repair issue but it was fixed under warranty.

GolfandWoodNut said:
That heat may also be what is slowing you down a little Quads, don't give in to getting older. I like that the kids can't keep up with my splitting yet, but I get alot more practice. I could never get that much wood on a trailer, other that my 6 X 8 trailer I use on the driveway. If I would try to pull that much up the hills around here it would end up scattered. I ended up bending the tongue on my trailer and it is now useless. I have been just strapping alot to the front and back of my ATV and making more trips. Enjoy the 290, for the most part I like my 390, I had one repair issue but it was fixed under warranty.
Fortunately the ground here is pretty flat. Only hill is the bluff, and I haven't cut up there for several years now. I had to be careful how high I piled it on the trailer then. There were times when I thought it might tip coming back down off the bluff!

Also, the dead wood is quite a bit lighter than the green wood. I had a green oak on the trailer the other day, loaded half as much, and it pulled twice as hard! That water weighs a lot.

Backwoods Savage said:

I think my next ATV will have independent rear suspension . . . but with the reliability of Honda ATVs I'm happy (and afraid) that this will be many years in the future since I can't see myself selling a perfectly good ATV just because I would like a better ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.