Cutting and splitting, its all about team work!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanningjw

Minister of Fire
Oct 15, 2008
Plymouth, Minnesota
About 30 miles from our resort in northern Minnesota a friend of my said "if you drop the trees your welcome to the wood" this was music to my ears. The resort owner frowns on us bringing wood from the house 165 miles away. I cannot blame him, but I don’t like to buy wood when we are in a forest with wood all around us.
Anyways, we dropped about 9 birches and bucked up 7 of them. Loaded them in the trucks and brought it back to the resort and split up the rounds and made a bunch of camp firewood. That’s no big deal, but working with guys that have a never quit work ethic was. Working with 4 guys that refused to stop working until the wood was stacked was really cool.
The oldest guy at 65 dropped the trees and would start bucking, and then we all loaded the rounds in the 2 trucks. The good part was we didn’t have much brush to clean up and it went really fast. We all took turns cutting and loading the wood, we did have some beers too. It went so fast, many hands made the work fun.
After the trucks were loaded up with wood we brought them back to the campsite. I thought we would unload and start the splitting the next day but that’s not how these guys work. The resort owner let us borrow his splitter and once again everyone had a job. The rounds came from the truck to the splitter and there was no wasted motion, the splits never hit the ground, they were carried to the stack by guys waiting for more. We stopped at 8p when it was getting dark and started up the next day at 8a.
Most of the times I work by myself when I get to make wood but working with guys with a can do work ethic made it really fun and easy! The picture show just one of the piles we made that day.

Attachments

• 380138_4165885918512_537149_n.jpg
    380138_4165885918512_537149_n.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 245
I love it when a plan comes together! Looks like it was a good time for all, with the rewards of some "free" wood....

Teamwork!

Nothing like being part of a well-oiled machine!

Horizontal Splitting!:D

Teamwork makes the work fun.
Working with guys with experience makes it look easy.

Nice to have a crew like that,its like 1 guy with 8 hands.

Cut split and stack by myself alot. This year bought a load of logs and had lots of help from the family. Also a friend of mine who also burns wood came to help. We decided we'd plan our times and work together at whoevers house was cutting wood. So much better with a few people. Especially the splitter. 2 guys on a splitter and the ram never stops moving!

Cut split and stack by myself alot. This year bought a load of logs and had lots of help from the family. Also a friend of mine who also burns wood came to help. We decided we'd plan our times and work together at whoevers house was cutting wood. So much better with a few people. Especially the splitter. 2 guys on a splitter and the ram never stops moving!

You hit the hammer on the head on that one. The ram never stoped moving! At home I am doing the work by myself. To bad we all couldnt help each other process the wood. Its so much faster!

Attachments

• 199593_4165922439425_979179823_n.jpg
    199593_4165922439425_979179823_n.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 159
1,2,3 break! Go team!

Attachments

• wood lot 1.JPG
    wood lot 1.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 214
It sounds like you had a well matched crew. That makes all the difference. Most of my wooding is done alone, but like many other endeavors, working with others who "get it" and work well together is very rewarding and productive. Like a well oiled machine as someone noted above. Working with others who don't get it can be dang frustrating, though ya gotta appreciate anyone who's willing to try and help out.

Lanningjw, I gotta draw the line somewhere. I'm not driving to Minnesota!

Ok Williamsport I can do!

Wow sounded like a great day !

Status
Not open for further replies.