Cutting c-cast baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Anyone ever cut a c-cast baffle successfully? May need to trim about 1/2" off the side of one and I don't want to destroy it.

I'm thinking my options are:

- hacksaw
- cutoff wheel in angle grinder
- mini cutoff wheel in dremel

Why would you need to trim your baffle? And what exactly do you mean by c-cast? Post a pic of it there are so many different baffle materials I am not sure which one you are referring to. But a diamond blade in a grinder or circular saw will cut most of them. Some only require a utility knife though

Why would you need to trim your baffle? And what exactly do you mean by c-cast? Post a pic of it there are so many different baffle materials I am not sure which one you are referring to. But a diamond blade in a grinder or circular saw will cut most of them. Some only require a utility knife though
The wrong size was accidentally sent under warranty claim when the original cracked. As it was sent under warranty, I feel that I am sort of pressing my luck asking them to send another one (although I have asked). If I cut 1/2" off the side, it'll fit.

C-cast is the material SBI uses in some of their stoves, reportedly more durable than vermiculite baffles. I believe that I read that it is some sort of space age lightweight ceramic. I should have listed diamond cutoff wheel as I bought one last year for a job and have not used it yet. I guess I'm most concerned about cutting off the outside shell and exposing the innards (think crust on bread vs. the middle of the loaf). This would assume that it is not homogeneous all the way through, and I have no idea if this is a concern or not.

c-cast baffle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have to see the edge but that looks like just a plain old ceramic fiber baffle board that many others use. I think the least durable as well by the way. If it is what I think it is we just cut it with a utility knife

I would be inclined to use the diamond blade if for no other reason than a nice clean edge.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I would have to see the edge but that looks like just a plain old ceramic fiber baffle board that many others use. I think the least durable as well by the way. If it is what I think it is we just cut it with a utility knife
Could be, the whole "c-cast" thing could just be the marketing department taking it up. That said, it does appear to be way more durable than the vermiculite one that it is replacing.

Maybe I'll take it out again to get you a picture of the edge, as I have valued your responses in the past, bholler (in fact, I wish you lived closer to me, I'd probably try to hire you off-season to do some of the work that I'm bumbling through myself, based on your contributions here). I'll try to describe it until then: Imagine what the edge looks like when cutting a piece of wet clay. Similar to how the face of wire cut bricks look.

Thanks Jags. Sage advice.
It appears to be pretty common baffle material by the pics. As Bholler said, it can probably be cut with a utility knife. He does this stuff for a living, so I would surely take that into consideration. I like power tools. >>;lol

Reactions: bholler
I would try a knife first. If it is the type I am thinking it is that should work just fine.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
It appears to be pretty common baffle material by the pics. As Bholler said, it can probably be cut with a utility knife. He does this stuff for a living, so I would surely take that into consideration. I like power tools. >>;lol
Yep, I totally agree on all counts.

I would try a knife first. If it is the type I am thinking it is that should work just fine.
Thanks bholler. You are like having a consultant on call, one that never sends an invoice! It is clear that you love what you do, or you wouldnt spend your free time on here. Few of us are lucky (smart?) enough to have our passion align with our livelyhood. On the other hand, the whole "customer is always right" thing isn't always a pleasure...

Reactions: bholler

Please understand, I'm not doubting your advice, I just want to make sure that I do a sufficient job of letting you know what I have, as this virtual thing is not quite as good live and in-person. And, I really don't want to wreck this $100 item in the middle of winter.

I found a picture online that is representative of the edge (so I don't have to take it out to get pics). It is the material used in Osburn stoves.

If I use a knife, just score and snap? Or perhaps the knife will penetrate all the way through? Felt pretty hard and brittle, almost like chalk, if the latter.

Currently it is resting on the secondary burn tubes on the left side of the stove, and slightly above them on the right. Doesn't seem to be affecting the burn, but I'm mildly concerned ruining something on the right side where there is a little air space above the tubes.

c cast edge 4.jpg

Please understand, I'm not doubting your advice, I just want to make sure that I do a sufficient job of letting you know what I have, as this virtual thing is not quite as good live and in-person. And, I really don't want to wreck this $100 item in the middle of winter.

I found a picture online that is representative of the edge (so I don't have to take it out to get pics). It is the material used in Osburn stoves.

If I use a knife, just score and snap? Or perhaps the knife will penetrate all the way through? Felt pretty hard and brittle, almost like chalk, if the latter.

Currently it is resting on the secondary burn tubes on the left side of the stove, and slightly above them on the right. Doesn't seem to be affecting the burn, but I'm mildly concerned ruining something on the right side where there is a little air space above the tubes.
yeah dont score and snap it if the knife does not cut through it use a diamond wheel.

Thank you! I'm going with the diamond blade.

Now I just need to pick which method:
You are just going to have to try it I have a feeling a knife will cut right through it but if not just about any abrasive blade will probably cut it. And no you dont want or need to cut it wet.

You are just going to have to try it I have a feeling a knife will cut right through it but if not just about any abrasive blade will probably cut it. And no you dont want or need to cut it wet.
Appreciate it- I'll try the knife first, then the abrasive wheel that I have. You're a good guy, bholler. Happy holidays to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.