Cutting/ Chopping Grounds..........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodMann

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2008
New Mexico
Wondering if anyone has a home base that they bring the bounty home to to finish cutting and splitting. Or do you do everything on site and load up the truck with yer splits ans stack it when ya get back to the North 40. I cut, acquire and bring everything home in the truck, well from the end of the lot, anyways and cut to size and split in the deignated area. I know- looks like a good setting for a horror movie, like Wrong Turn 2...............

Attachments

• Grounds.jpg
    Grounds.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 953
My neighbors probably don't like me. Not going for curb appeal. My front yard looks like a redneck's. My wood processing area is at the first 100 feet of my property near the road and just off my driveway. I take delivery from a big truck that carries 12 cord and he backs it right into place in the winter on frozen ground.

In the summer you cannot see my house which is set back 250 feet from the road. I deliberately made my driveway serpentine to hide the house from the road. When the foliage is off, the house is visible from the road.

My front yard looks pretty bad. My wife is a saint for putting up with it, my neighbors pretend not to mind. This is the view looking at my house from the road.

Attachments

• 100_3835.jpg
    100_3835.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 917
Rick said:
My front yard looks pretty bad. My wife is a saint for putting up with it, my neighbors pretend not to mind. This is the view looking at my house from the road.

looks great to me :coolsmile:

WoodMann said:
Wondering if anyone has a home base that they bring the bounty home to to finish cutting and splitting. Or do you do everything on site and load up the truck with yer splits ans stack it when ya get back to the North 40. I cut, acquire and bring everything home in the truck, well from the end of the lot, anyways and cut to size and split in the deignated area. I know- looks like a good setting for a horror movie, like Wrong Turn 2...............

I cut in the woods but I never split in the woods unless I find a round I cannot lift.

Same here, I block up the logs in the woods, but dont split unless i cant lift the blocks. This spring I cut up a huge chestnut oak, who's blocks had to be quartered to carry up to the truck.

right in the road. I live on a dead end that sees three cars a day. leaf blower cleans up the street when i'm done.

Attachments

• firewood 2.jpg
    firewood 2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 839
I usually bring a trailer full of wood up on the hill, behind the house and split it right where I'm going to stack it for drying.
Most of this wood is down by the house now.
29f6lat.jpg

Woodford said:
Hey Bigg_Redd, every time I see your avatar it makes me laugh because I have a personal connection to that sign.

Sweet. I have no personal connection yet it makes me laugh as well.

I also like to bring wood back to my storage area before splitting but will often split those larger pieces to more manageable sizes before transporting.

our side yard is about 50' x 150', and that is my processing area and stacking area. I started almost at the very back of that portion of the yard against a tree line with my rows. When I come home with a load, I back in and chuck everything into a pile. When the pile gets big enough (and my buddy with a splitter isnt busy) it gets split and stacked. Right now I am a year ahead, thats with cutting 2 years worth this summer because its our first year. I am thinking that I will get so far ahead at some point that I will have to start forning rows on the front lawn (the back yard gets too much shade).

My wife will not like that.

Cut up in the woods and hauled to a spot nearby (actually right next to my buddy's house), split and stacked there until it's time to move it to my house in the Fall (at which point I am in hopes of putting it into a woodshed.)

I have a 1.5 acre spot in the country. I get free wood from a friend who has a tree service.
His guys load me up I hawl it back home and split right off trailer when possible.

Attachments

• 600x450PIC_0219.JPG
    600x450PIC_0219.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 746
If i can load them thats the way i get them home.

CTBurner said:
Rick said:

looks great to me :coolsmile:

Yeah- I second that, honest...............

Bigg_Redd said:
fattyfat1 said:
right in the road. I live on a dead end that sees three cars a day. leaf blower cleans up the street when i'm done.

Ilwaco? Naselle? Raymond?

Kelso

Rick said:
AH-HA! that's how I can get out of mowing. Thanks for the idea!

Everything gets cut in the woods, hauled up near the house and stacked. Come Spring, it gets split and, of course, the final stacking. The following fall or early winter, it gets covered; top only. After a few years, it gets burned in the stove.

I have about 1/4 of a year's wood supply already stacked and ready to be split, but I work very slow.

Thanks for all the kind words. I never thought about the time I save now not mowing the lawn that used to be there, sweet!

I'm the jerk for a reason.
Neighbor wanted to go against me and won for a variance. I ended up lining the shared driveway with wood and topped with plywood that that F*$k$r made me pull down. Right now I'm hoping it looks bad, but I have a nice 10 cord pile that he can look at each time he drives down. Not the best for neighbor PR, but..

Heres my splitting grounds...my backyard.
S5000353.jpg

The $10 wood shed is almost filled. left side is sassafrass, right side is mullberry. Im building an extension for the rest of the mixed rounds that need to be split.
S5000354.jpg

Cool. Y'all got some nice woodsheds fer sure. I was always concerned with mouses with a woodshed, how do ya'll deal with that................

Status
Not open for further replies.