Cutting cultured stone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dnichols822

Aug 29, 2008
Central New York
Does anyone have any experience with cutting cultured stone? I am moving on to phase II of my project and that deals with cutting cultured stone. I was wondering if I should use my wet saw for this...and if the porcelain diamond edged blade is the way to go for this? Thanks.

D,

The wet saw would be great if it cuts deep enough. A diamond blade in a circular saw also works good, but it's alot dustier.

Jim

I would like to know, after it is completed, what should be used to protect it from staining. Something that makes it bead water. Sorta like Armor-All for kitchen and bath. Perhaps something recommended by the manufacturer?

We don't cut the CS with a saw , we cut it with a hammer we start on both ends and work the stone to the center then whack the piece with it a hammer . The saw cuts look to strait . most of the time you could find a piece that fits

We didn't have to cut too many, but the ones I did I cut with a masonary blade on a skill saw. Set it to cut about 2/3 of the thickness, and cut from the backside, then tap with a hammer and I had a nice rough edge on the exposed side. I tried several different ways to cut/break it but this was the only method that worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.