Cutting Firebricks??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob From Wisconsin

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
East-Central Wisconsin
Several firebricks in my stove are beginning to show their wear,
and are developing cracks. At the local hardware store they have generic
replacement bricks, identicle, but are 2" too long.
Can firebricks be cut, say with a chop saw to desired length without compromising them??

Your input is appreciated....

Rob

I replaced the bricks in my last Quadrafire, which had lightweight bricks, with generic ones. I cut them on my crappy table saw with an abrasive wheel. Very dusty-would suggest doing it outside. I'm not clear if there are any issues with replacing the lightweights with the 'normal' ones though. Even on my new quad, the lightweight bricks don't look as if they're faring all that well.

Tile saw will cut damn near anything. I have the Home-Cheapo one and have done three jobs with FULL porcelain tile and the blade still has a few more jobs in it.

I would imagine any saw blade that can cut massonary or concrete will do the job, but it will be a dusty, messy, job as noted.
If water is used it will keep down the dust, if you don't use water definitely wear a mask.

Hey, Velvetfoot, are the denser bricks working out for you? All the advice on this site leans toward sticking with what the manufacturer recommends, but I think that is in part just a CYA attitude. I wouldn't buck this, but my Quad 4100i already needs two or three replacements, which I ordered from my dealer when I had to get some other parts. I needed the two from the back with the air tube holes in them, as well as a couple from the sides. The holed ones cost me I think $13 each. Others were $7 or so. I just think this is pretty high given their durability. The denser bricks in my Lopi are holding up much better.

MarkG

Alas, the stove stayed with the house when we moved. The light bricks in my current 2700i also seem to be getting chewed up, I think partially as a result of the rough surface. I am leaning towards replacing them with self-cut (and drilled I guess) generic bricks.

We have a wetsaw in out shop for cutting marble and granite, that works the best for cutting firebricks. If you are anywhere near Madison we could probably cut them for you. PM me if interested.

It might also be reasonable to cut them the way that the masons do - score the surface on a cut line and tap with a hammer to break the brick along the right line...

Gooserider

I've used a masonary wheel in a 90 degree grinder to make the score. A couple taps and it usually breaks apart. Just make sure you've got the eyes, ears and mouth covered!

Corie said:
I've used a masonary wheel in a 90 degree grinder to make the score. A couple taps and it usually breaks apart. Just make sure you've got the eyes, ears and mouth covered!

I do the same thing with a hacksaw. Less flying matter.

BrotherBart said:
Corie said:

I do the same thing with a hacksaw. Less flying matter.

Yeah a hacksaw with a masonary blade sounds like the most economical (cheap) way to cut it if you don't have a bunch of power tools laying around.

Status
Not open for further replies.