Cutting Frozen Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got it all cut up, split and hauled into the backyard over the long weekend. These days, it's more about physical stamina than time. It doesn't get any easier as I get older. Anyway, I'd say there's at least 3 full cords--all of it solid wood. I didn't hit or encounter any metal or other obstacles, which surprised me greatly. The crotch was the hardest part. I had to take it apart piece by piece with an old Jonsereds Model 90 fitted with a 24-inch bar and a ripping chain. A lot of good splitting in those 35-inch, straight-grained rounds from the stem. About 1.5 per loosely-tossed pickup load in my Ford Ranger.

I was really lucky that this thing "landed" right in the middle of a cold snap. If the ground hadn't been frozen, I would have torn up the yard getting the wood out. As it is, no ruts or other damage that I can see. The only downside is that I got windburn working out there all weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.