Cutting frozen wood...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Ok, I've seen plenty of talk about the benefits of splitting frozen rounds. How about cutting up frozen logs? Is this a problem - i.e. does it cause excess wear on the chain or anything of that sort or is it a complete don't care?

I have three logs sitting there waiting to be cut up (red oak) and may get a chance to spend some quality time with them this weekend but it has been well below freezing for the last few weeks - should I go ahead and cut them up or just split what has been cut already and wait for them to thaw out in a couple months? I'd rather get them cut up just to get them out of the way if all other things are equal...

Just keep your toes and fingertips warm.

I've never seen a difference. Bar oil might be a little thick until your saw warms the resevoir up if you keep the outside in the cold.
I take my oil and saw in the night before sometimes. Unecessar, IMO, but I do it just the same. Not much else to do outside in this weather. Sunlight is valuable.

I do it almost everyday. The frozen wood might dull the chain a little quicker, but I have never noticed a big difference. The main thing is don't let your chain touch the frozen ground. That will dull it in a big hurry.

Thanks for the replies!

re: toes and fingers warm - I learned long ago that if you keep your core body good and warm the fingers and toes tend to keep warm too as long as they are not exposed or wet. Keep moving and active and dress for the conditions. Now this may be one time I don't mind the warmth of the chaps - during the summer they sure felt hot right quick but somehow I don't think I'll be sweating nearly as much.

re: frozen ground dulling chain - I can't imagine it is any worse than hitting the ground any other time. Just don't do it eh? Although you do get me wondering a bit - when I was splitting rounds that were in the same area they were stuck to the ground and pulled up some dirt with them. Not a problem when splitting but it won't be easy to just wipe away when I roll the log for final cut. I may just have to keep something around to wack at the frozen mud where I plan to cut.

I hope my "honey-do" list isn't too long this weekend... as pointed out daylight is in short supply so I can't exactly get up early and get at them before breakfast like I could during the summer.

Smack the frozen mud with a maul and most of it will come off.

I cut frozen cant really tell any deference.

I agree with quads, it will cut the same but the chain does seem to dull a little quicker.

smokinjay said:

Me neither. First year cutting I didn't use winter grade bar oil and it seems like your chain is duller. But it's not.

CrawfordCentury said:
smokinjay said:

Me neither. First year cutting I didn't use winter grade bar oil and it seems like your chain is duller. But it's not.

+1 Dulling doesnt seem to be any quicker but I am slower to change the chain or sharpen it when it very cold out. I will just grap another saw.

Slow1 said:
re: frozen ground dulling chain - I can't imagine it is any worse than hitting the ground any other time. Just don't do it eh? Although you do get me wondering a bit - when I was splitting rounds that were in the same area they were stuck to the ground and pulled up some dirt with them. Not a problem when splitting but it won't be easy to just wipe away when I roll the log for final cut. I may just have to keep something around to wack at the frozen mud
You're right, hitting the ground anytime isn't too good for the chain! Of course, frozen ground is more like hitting a rock though, it's not as forgiving as plain old soft dirt.

As for the bar oil, I keep a can of it indoors in winter so when I go out to cut wood it is not thick as it would be left out in the cold. Sometimes I've even taken the saw indoors overnight.

I've never noticed any difference either.

quads said:
Slow1 said:
re: frozen ground dulling chain - I can't imagine it is any worse than hitting the ground any other time. Just don't do it eh? Although you do get me wondering a bit - when I was splitting rounds that were in the same area they were stuck to the ground and pulled up some dirt with them. Not a problem when splitting but it won't be easy to just wipe away when I roll the log for final cut. I may just have to keep something around to wack at the frozen mud
You're right, hitting the ground anytime isn't too good for the chain! Of course, frozen ground is more like hitting a rock though, it's not as forgiving as plain old soft dirt.

Which is another good reason to cut in winter time. Having 2' of snow on the ground is a nice buffer against rocking out.

Last time I cut in temps below freezing after letting the saw sit outside the bar oil was like molasses and the chain seized in the bar repeatedly. But the actual cutting was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.