Cutting Gloves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What Material are the gloves?

I'll give it a try tonight, it's the palms of the gloves that need it the most. Looks like we are hitting minus 9 tonight so that Sugar Maple & Beech should do the job.

Thanks
Zap

What material gloves does everyone use? I have gone through about 3 pairs of gloves now. Seems the tips of the fingers get worn very easily. Splitting by hand mostly.

RORY12553 said:
What material gloves does everyone use? I have gone through about 3 pairs of gloves now. Seems the tips of the fingers get worn very easily. Splitting by hand mostly.

The gloves with insulation in the seem to last a lot longer hope that helps.

I use GoJo on my clothing that gets oil stains etc. Not sure if that ill help you.
I just use the regular suede palmed gloves the hardware store sells.
Were them out, and pull a new pair out of the bag.

I wear mechaincs gloves, yes they wear out kinda fast but they give me the best use of my hands on the saw or on the wood. For cleaning I like the SnapOn hand cleaner in the red can. Fantastic stuff for cleaning hands or luandry or many other things.

I think of oil on gloves and boots as a water repellant/sealer. If you still want them clean try dawn dish washing soap.

Zap....I know it is killin ya that the gloves are "soiled"....it is the OCD....
you don't want "brand new lookin" cutting gloves....
the soil and mess give em character dammit.......just roll with it brotha... :cheese:

Gotta side with the Gamma on this one. I don't think I ever cleaned a pair of work gloves!
But, some of the advice sounds good-as usual.

GAMMA RAY said:
Zap....I know it is killin ya that the gloves are "soiled"....it is the OCD....
you don't want "brand new lookin" cutting gloves....
the soil and mess give em character dammit.......just roll with it brotha... :cheese:

I do have a newer pair but at $27.00 I'll wash these out, the second soaking is going on. The backs of the gloves have Kevlar, if they were a regular pair then soaking to clean would not happen.

The oil from the saw is on the palms & fingers which makes it harder to hold the saw, your CEO status is in jeopardy. :vampire:

;-) Zap

If your able to get out the oil, won't you possibly take the natural oil out of the leather. I'd consider leaving them be....

stick 'em in the kitty litter box

dusty / crushed speedi dri might soak up enough of it

RobC said:
If your able to get out the oil, won't you possibly take the natural oil out of the leather. I'd consider leaving them be....

I'll find out tonight, my guess is enough of the oil will stay in the palms of the gloves so they don't dry out. This weekend they will be back at work so they will be getting some canola oil coming back on them from the saw.

zap

Nice gloves.

Thanks mecreature. I bought them to wear in the winter but ended up wearing them year around.

zap

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

Kevlar I would pre-treat the bad spots with spray and wash. Then wash it with soap and water.

The gloves were soaked a total of three times in simple green (changed the water each time) the third time they were sprayed with spray & wash put back in some new warm water with simple green, the last time they were soaked in some white distilled vinegar & water with simple green, so most of the oil came out along with some dirt.

First picture is before all the soakings.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4740-1.jpg
    100_4740-1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_4758-1.jpg
    100_4758-1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 145
Status
Not open for further replies.