Cutting Hickory sideways, SAY WHAT!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
[size=6[media=youtube]pOJx-7A10zQ[/media]

Smokin looks great, how thick was the board?

zap

zapny said:

zap

The hickory was all 1 inch. We done some bed post as well out of walnut at 3-1/2 inch.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

The hickory was all 1 inch. We done some bed post as well out of walnut at 3-1/2 inch.

Whats the hickory being used for?

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

Whats the hickory being used for?

zap

Not make my mind up yet but been thinking redoing the shelving shop with it, and trim the bottom with walnut.

Two runs both on fresh sharpened different chains both times are the same(two different OP's)....That's a good chain sharpener...lol

When milling the hickory how often do you change or sharpen your chain?

zap

That is damn good entertainment jay. I've been thinking lately that everything in my house might be made of ash. Your video may have sealed it.

SolarAndWood said:
That is damn good entertainment jay. I've been thinking lately that everything in my house might be made of ash. Your video may have sealed it.

I have a 17 ft ash that will be next I think its around 18in.

It looks like your just taking off dust...does it cut that bad when going with the grain? I would have thought you would get noodles... Thats more then enough saw!!!

burntime said:
It looks like your just taking off dust...does it cut that bad when going with the grain? I would have thought you would get noodles... Thats more then enough saw!!!

If you watch the end of the video there is noodles on the bar end side, other wise when ripping its is a more fine saw dust.
These two chain's I use today where sharpen faster than any chain I have ever used..Including brand new rs out of the box.
Smokin fast..lol Thats hickory ripping.

smokinjay said:
burntime said:

If you watch the end of the video there is noodles on the bar end side, other wise when ripping its is a more fine saw dust.
These two chain's I use today where sharpen faster than any chain I have ever used..Including brand new rs out of the box.

Smokin you have a heat alert so get your butt out there milling! :cheese:

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
burntime said:

Smokin you have a heat alert so get your butt out there milling! :cheese:

zap
Couple hundred bf a week good enough...lol need the heat to come down just to help the saws out a little.

Jay, how much do you think it would help if you put a shorter bar and chain on?

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay, how much do you think it would help if you put a shorter bar and chain on?

It would be in the chain sharpening department, but the power is there for that bar. rpm's very solid through out the cut.
Now I have been looking into some extra options but the thing that slows me down is the large mount stihl bar's are very expensive.

Ya, not cheap at all. I agree the rpm's were there. Nice saw for sure.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ya, not cheap at all. I agree the rpm's were there. Nice saw for sure.
Now that is a hard nose bar on there a roller would pick up some power, stihl in the large mount only makes a hard nose.
Now the option would be another 41inch roller (woodland pro) or a smaller bar... I have a 32 inch for the 460 already..(but its not going to mill hickory) Too many choices not enough cash lol. (it takes a 42 inch to max the mill out)

Jags said:
Lookin good Jay. You will have the nicest shelves in town. :lol:

lol I have a lot board feet. Project's subject to change at a moment's notice. Its stacking up and I will have to build myself out of there soon.
I have thought about selling it but I think its worth more to me to have the building material. (subject to change!) lol

Who is that hansome devil in the blue? :)

MMaul said:
Who is that hansome devil in the blue? :)

On futher review he was the slower of the two. He was the one that got the HOLE SHOT!

If you want to blame it on camera operating error that's fine. I think it might be chainsharpening not being consistent. :)

Man, that slow? Even with a 088? It's like watching paint dry. You need to go ahead and get that Wood Miser. Tell the Mrs. I said it was OK. ;-)

Guess I won't even consider using my 357XP for such work, even on little stuff.

BTW, who launders your chaps? You guys have to be the neatest looking wood cutters ever. :lol:

I thought mine were looking a little dirty and time for a wash. :) They are actually both very dirty but seems like they took a good pic. I didnt even notice had to look again.

Status
Not open for further replies.