cutting hole in a brick wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjc1800

Jan 10, 2011
Lithonia Ga
hey wonderful people, im almost ready to install my stove and im wondering what would be my best option for cutting a hole in a brick wall where i will be placing the thimble, what tools will i need? im using 3 inch duravent through the wall kit pipe. should the hole be cut in circle, or a square? if a circle should it be exactly 3 inches wide ?

jjc1800 said:
hey wonderful people, im almost ready to install my stove and im wondering what would be my best option for cutting a hole in a brick wall where i will be placing the thimble, what tools will i need? im using 3 inch duravent through the wall kit pipe. should the hole be cut in circle, or a square? if a circle should it be exactly 3 inches wide ?

If I was doing it I would use a angle grinder with a masonry cutting disk. Brick is very easy to cut. The thimble has a large flange, so cutting a circle is not really necessary since it will be covered up. Best to cut a little large anyway so you can move it around a little if need be.

Remember, that 3 inch pipe is the inner diameter (ID). You'll need your hole to be big enough to fit the outer diameter (ID) of the pipe or thimble. Check the outer diameter of the hole in the middle of the thimble to know how big to make that hole.

I'd use a masonry bit in a drill to make a series of holes around the circumference of your intended hole and then knock it out with a hammer and chisel. Like Graham said, it doesn't have to be pretty.

tjnamtiw said:
I'd use a masonry bit in a drill to make a series of holes around the circumference of your intended hole and then knock it out with a hammer and chisel. Like Graham said, it doesn't have to be pretty.

That's a good idea. A hammer drill works the best if you have one.

tjnamtiw said:
If you don't have a hammer drill, I would rent one, makes the job go by alot quicker.

The diameter of the hole to be cut has to larger than the wall thimble. AFAIK, The wall thimble will be required even for masonary installs.

I have a 4.5 inch diamond hole saw I use in my line of work.
I used it to core thru the 8 inch poured wall when I installed mine
You can rent them. personally I like a round hole for round pipe
but thats just me

If you are going through non-combustibles inside and out you don't really need the thimble. You will only need a 3" hole. A smaller hole is less hassle (no sexual innuendo on that statement please). ;)

You could then make a nice decorative flange to go around the pipe or take apart the thimble and use just the face plates.

dac122 said:
If you are going through non-combustibles inside and out you don't really need the thimble. You will only need a 3" hole. A smaller hole is less hassle (no sexual innuendo on that statement please). ;)

You could then make a nice decorative flange to go around the pipe or take apart the thimble and use just the face plates.

I would check State regulations on that. In NY you still need a thimble.

Status
Not open for further replies.