Cutting hole in roof tomorrow morning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clark_bailey

Dec 20, 2007
Alabama
Any last suggestions before I get the sawzall out in the morning to cut a hole in the roof. The roof is 8/12 pitch and shingled with asphalt shingles.

At least its asphalt mine is 8:12 but metal. Make sure youve got good footing and maybe tie yourself off to the other side if its more then a story. Mine is like 20'+ to the ground so I lay an extension ladder on the roof with a rope over the ridge to a tree or deck post and use that for footing.

Use the base flashing as a template & cut the circle of shingles out before hand. You can go about 1/2" to 3/4" wider than outside of the base flashing (round or oval part, not the roof flanges). That way you have room to cut your wood deck out, won't kill the blade with the shingles, and the shingles will need very lil trimming. Remember, last course or two of shingles (depends where they are compared to the base flashing) under the lower area of the base flashing roof flange goes under the flange, rest of the shingles on sides & top go over the base flashing roof flange.

Ok , I'll bite!!

What are you cutting the hole in the roof for?????

Oh yea, almost forgot, Check the weather channel to see if/ when it is going to rain/ snow tomorrow
& how cold its going to be up on that roof. That way, you wont end up cutting a hole in your roof in the middle of a noreaster blizzard.

I would guess he is cutting hole for venting for stove.
I don't think Alabama gets much snow or Noreasters.

Has not snowed in about 15 years. Weather will be a frigid 45-50 F during the day. No rain until tomorrow night. I should have 12 hours to do the cut the hole for a HT chimney and install flashing. I will utilize a safety line due to the 32 foot elevation above the ground.

clark_bailey said:
Has not snowed in about 15 years. Weather will be a frigid 45-50 F during the day.

frigid says you :eek:hh:

It will be -11 tomorrow night here, that is frigid :gulp:

Good luck with the install

clark_bailey said:
Has not snowed in about 15 years. Weather will be a frigid 45-50 F during the day. No rain until tomorrow night. I should have 12 hours to do the cut the hole for a HT chimney and install flashing. I will utilize a safety line due to the 32 foot elevation above the ground.

aw come on now it is not the fall that hurts it is that sudden stop at the end. lol
Another peal of wisdom it is easier to cut more off than it is to put some back. and when all else fails get a bigger hammer

Weather will be a frigid 45-50 F during the day. No rain until tomorrow night.

:-/ ....so....ya know what the definition of frigid is???

With that kind of weather you could heat your house with three Sterno cans...forget the hole in the roof. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.