Cutting holes in floor vs the building code

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
Is cutting holes in your floor to help with heat distribution against the code? I've heard yes and no from several different people. I've seen it in a few homes before, and have one in mine and can't seem to get a straight answer.

I do not know your local building code, but I am sure your building inspector does. Give him a call and get a definate answer to your question rather than speculation from us on the internet.

It's the International Building Code but your local guys might have more stringent regulations.

I doubt there's any Code system that allows it, but even if it were allowed, it's a bad idea. Any fire on the lower level would race up through the hole, seeking oxygen. And any fumes or smoke would have instant access to the next floor.

It's generally code that there be 10 feet between a vent and a wood burning appliance but that requires a fire damper register, (closes at a certain temp) for floor penetrations. Of course always check with the local code restrictions.

Shawn

Dang my house has two stairways that lead to the second floor and also a huge opening to the second floor from the great room! How could the building inspector miss this?

On a more serious note I need to find this out as well since despite the above I have terrible heat circulation especially in the finished attic. Is this one of the things that would fall under a grandfather clause, or are older houses expected to update to newer codes? Just about every single house in my family (folks, grandparents, etc) all have wood heat and all have registers between the floors. And they are all 100+ years old. In the house I grew up in, they made a noticable difference.

The Ontario Building code allows for a hole between floor, but have to box between the joist so that you end up with a opening about 14"x14". The cheif inspector i talked with said when that code was written they were more worried about someone cutting a hole and not boxing it allowing fire to travel at a much faster rate thru the floor joist then just up thru the hole

Status
Not open for further replies.