1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Cutting logs to length

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by brakatak, Aug 6, 2013.

1. brakatak

brakatak Member

Loc:
    SE Mass.
    i had a huge Oak (50' +) taken down by a buddy who climbed it... looking at my pile now, most logs are about 20"-24" lengths. so i need to get these down to 16-18" lengths for the stove. what is best method to cut slices off these? or to keep the log stable? I been cutting them but they seem to roll alot which is probably not too safe. im comforatable with a chainsaw but not an expert by any means.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I cut my after splitting......made out of scrap wood I had......if it's real long, you can stick out both sides and cut into thirds..
    [​IMG]
    ScotO and HDRock like this.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Similar to Beer Belly's, I've even used a milk crate, Stuff it full then wrap a ratchet strap around the wood. Turn crate on side and one cut you have a bunch done. If not milk crate or something similar, it doesn't take long to make something. We've even done several on a sawbuck and if you have help, it saves a lot of time. One person holding the wood with the other running the saw you can cut a lot of wood in a short period of time.
    ScotO, NortheastAl and HDRock like this.
  4. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    I lay down 4 or 5 log lengths on the ground and use them as a cutting surface for cutting off slices. logs on the ground must be big enough not to roll of course. That's if you have to do it all yourself.
  5. paul bunion

paul bunion Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NJ
    I think your friend needs a bit of re-training with the tape measure. :)
    n3pro likes this.
  6. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Two cinder blocks and my foot. Not fun for the back. Actually planning on making a sawbuck while on vacation and getting all my limbs cut up here soon.
    Mitch Newton likes this.
  7. brakatak

brakatak Member

Loc:
    SE Mass.
    some good ideas here. thansk. i'll have to rig something up.
  8. brakatak

brakatak Member

Loc:
    SE Mass.
    I asked him to cut the logs in 16-18" lengths... he said when he's at the top of the trees, he's just cutting what he can, and not measuring. I guess i dont blame him. i wouldnt want to be climbing up there with a chainsaw.
    Beer Belly likes this.
  9. brakatak

brakatak Member

Loc:
    SE Mass.
    Built a sawbuck. Makes cutting so much better... and great on the back. Huge fan. Thx for the ideas to get me going on this.

Attached Files:

10. Locust Post

Locust Post Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    Looks good and much easier on the back, plus lots safer than cutting on the ground and not worrying about kick back if you hit the nose of the saw.
    ScotO likes this.
  11. Jacktheknife

Jacktheknife Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lakota, Iowa
    Sawbuck is the way to go, sometimes I stack a bunch up and bungee them down.
  12. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Well done on the sawbuck.....if you keep getting oddball rounds from your buddy, it will get lots of use over the years....;)
    Backwoods Savage likes this.