Cutting out damper frame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLOOC1

Jan 7, 2008
MA-VT-RI
Hello,

I've been struggling with installing a wood burning insert. As I've read through some of the great topics on this forum I have heard mention of "cutting out the damper frame". What do you guys mean by that? Using a sawzall or grinder & cutting out a larger opening in the damper frame that will accept a larger diameter piece of pipe or actually cutting out the entire damper frame itself? In my case it would seem to make more sense & make the installation a hell of a lot easier If I just removed the entire damper frame. Is this possible & what are the pro's & con's?

Thanks in advance!

Whatever gets it out of there doesn't matter. Either way it will be FUBAR and not useable every again (not that it matters).

Slooc1, I just finished up an install and had to modify the damper. I was able to remove the damper plate and then use a saws all to cut out some of the frame to allow for the 6 inch pipe that had to pass through it. It didn't take long and looks pretty clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.